ad: CQMM-1

"No-power" Wi-Fi connectivity could fuel Internet of Things reality

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K7DAN, Aug 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K7DAN

K7DAN Ham Member QRZ Page

Researchers at the University of Washington have developed a technology that uses RF radio frequency signals for power and "Wifi backscatter" technology to enable Internet connectivity for devices such as sensors and wearables. They will publish their results at the Association for Computing Machinery’s Special Interest Group on Data Communication‘s annual conference this month in Chicago. The team also plans to start a company based on the technology.

http://www.washington.edu/news/2014...tivity-could-fuel-internet-of-things-reality/

This new technology appears to be something similar that used in RFID devices, but obviously at a much lower power level. Though the throughput at present is only 1 kilobit per second and the range is limited, one can easily see a path to increased range and throughput as well as direct subcutaneous human connection feeding data about body temperature, heart rate, blood pressure, O2 level and more via Wifi.

Dan Van Hoy
    K7DAN / VR2HF

2. AG6JU

AG6JU Guest

interesting , by shorting resonance antenna out of resonance changes near by signal quite bit.

3. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member QRZ Page

But trying to detect such small changes in signal would be difficult at best because the S/N ratio wouldn't be good.

4. N4QA

N4QA Ham Member QRZ Page

Should work well in Whoville

5. KX1G

KX1G Ham Member QRZ Page

Re: "No power" Wi-Fi

Wired magazine, of all places, said it first....there are millions of Hackers salivating about the Internet of Things. If Wired, which promotes the bleeding edge of technology, is wary of the security risk, making it easier isn't going to help. But it's coming for sure. Personally I will never purchase a device that can be hacked and lead to being abused, such as a car computer or a net accessible pace maker. Giving hackers access to my rig through an internet interface even concerns me. My day job is director of industry standards at a Fortune 100 company. I am following IoT and security standards closely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.