No PO Box accepted????

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by N5RV, Nov 24, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FWIW, I also live in a town with no USPS street delivery so we all have PO boxes. Per our local post office employees the preferred addressing is:

Street address info #PO Box number (e.g. '335 Elm street #8057')
    City, State
    Zip

They basically have asked us to append the PO Box number to our physical street address. This is the same address I have verified with my Paypal account so it does a few things:

- Regardless of whether the shipper uses USPS or a courier service the package gets to me

- The address in the format above is verified with Paypal so there aren't any issues from the seller's standpoint about Paypal coverage policies

- The seller really never knows that any USPS mailings are going to a PO box so the discussion never comes up it just looks like an apartment number at a street address

- Our local post office has entered into an optional last mile delivery program with both UPS and Fedex so packages ordered via a courier (e.g. Amazon Prime) sometimes end up at the post office anyway if the driver got slammed on deliveries that day and chose to exercise the last mile USPS option. That was a major PITA in the early days as I'd order something that was being sent by UPS or Fedex and only give the vendor my street address but then the driver dropped it off at the post office where it sat for a day or two until the package sorters returned it to the vendor because it lacked a PO box number. Locals pitched a fit as we had no control over when a delivery driver would choose the PO Box over actual street delivery and the post office employees refused to look up or PO Box number (they have a database that connects street addresses to PO Boxes as we have to prove our physical address every year but they won't use it). So the answer from the local post office is that we should use the combined address format shown above on ALL package orders so it doesn't matter how it's sent or whether it ends up at our home or at our PO Box.

Anyway, that's how our local post office asks us to handle the PO Box vs street address problem and since doing that I've never had an issue with package delivery.

N7ZDR and N5RV like this.
  2. N5RV

N5RV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Pretty much the same advice here at my local post office. As long in the address line there is the PO Box, they will accept it.

I use this for Amazon and any other that will accept the format. But I have found some websites that will not allow PO Box anywhere on the 2 address lines... so I usually put the street address and hope for the best that it arrives (if the item I'm having shipped is not outrageously expensive that is)

I have asked the question to the post master, "then why not use the ZIP+4", since my +4 ARE the numbers of my PO Box..... I didn't get a comforting response... it seams that even the +4 is controversial inside USPS when it comes to using it for what it was intended... Kinda like if everyone had a computer then we could save the trees.... Ha, now everyone wants a hard copy.... that move didn't turn out like it was intended...

I think we have a ways to go to have it perfectly seamless, but when that happens I expect the earth will end... HIHI

K7TRF likes this.
  3. N5RV

Oh, and I use it on my FCC mailing address, and if you look me up here on QRZ you see both street and PO Box....

4. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly correct...

(Retired USPS) :)

N5RV likes this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fedex SmartPost kinda works for me here in PR. I often order from Lowe's and I'm a 'MyLowe's' member and get free shipping which is great.
    What's not so great is that they ship (to me) via Fedex SmartPost and it takes about 25-30 days. It all goes to a transfer point to USPS in Ellenwood, GA and becomes no longer trackable.
    I guess they (Lowe's) get a big enough discount to make this work for them and I don't want to make too much noise because I'm able to get some rather large oversize packages which normally USPS wouldn't even accept. Did I mention FREE SHIPPING?
    Walmart used to have free shipping to here and that was great but they discontinued it. I hope Lowes doesn't go that route.
    Of course none of this applies to typical one-off consumer shipping.

N5RV likes this.
  6. N5RV

I completely forgot to upload this image till now... And I was wrong who and what it was, it was my FTM-7250DR from R&L Electronics. came UPS Surepost TO the post office and marked for my PO Box. Can't be any more proof than that. so why the heck folks don't trust PO boxes is unfounded and unfair, and down right ignorant..... IMG_20181126_113202.jpg

N7ZDR, N2PQW, KP4SX and 1 other person like this.
  7. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

If I try to enter a PO Box as a shipping address in my Fedex account it WILL NOT accept it.

8. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I am renting a second house on a residential lot.

I had continual problems with Amazon, that finally let me add another line to my address. I added "from alley".

If I can add a note, I put "delivery from alley".

Repeatedly told my address doesn't exist, I went to the tax assessor.

He referred me to the Sheriff's Department and from there I was referred to the Post Mistress, who put the address in the USPS computer listing and later confirmed the address is in the USPS computer listing.

Next, I told the UPS Distribution Center lady to update their computer listing. I saw a FedEx driver on the street, I told him to tell FedEx to update their computer listing.

I have a P.O. Box.

This is a very small town. The business district has street delivery.

The employees at USPS always know to put mail in my P.O. Box and packages are put in a bigger box, the key put in my box. Other times, a yellow card is in my box and they hand over the box.

Even so, I signed up for notifictions with USPS.

I still cannot get food delivered to my address.. however I am no longer chasing UPS and FedEx delivery trucks.

There may be some helpful information in there.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  9. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

heh heh heh

Valid street address.

Like -
    Milepost 36, Valdez Highway, Valdez Alaska.

or

Mile 45.5 Seward Highway
    51826 Seward Highway
    Moose Pass Alaska ยท 99631-9707 This for Summit Lake Lodge.

I've been spending some time on the job researching "tax addresses"

Alaska has a ton of 'fun' addresses....

10. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My delivery address at the local lumberyard is "next door to Carlos Luis" although he doesn't live there anymore.