ad: w5yi

No PO Box accepted????

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by N5RV, Nov 24, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My opinion ... it goes back to the days of sellers who only used UPS or Fedex who couldn't, back then, deliver to a PO Box. Times have changed but just like the silly CONUS thing it has become boilerplate verbiage for ads.

N2PQW and N5RV like this.
  2. N5RV

N5RV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I could not say it better. I see the Post Office is the safest place for any delivery no who it comes from.... Thanks Dave for saying it better than I could ever say it.

N2PQW likes this.
  3. N5RV

Yep, "boilerplate verbiage" explains it well.... I think folks just make a statement with no real understanding of why....

4. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

KP4SX, I understand that, and there was some logic to their choice. However there's far more superstition than logic at play here...

Believe it or not :p, I was trying to be brief with my previous reply, and I didn't mention the many, MANY eBay sellers who were happy to ship to me using the US Postal Service, but never in a million years to a US PO Box!

The explanations were all variations on the theme of some imagination-based assumption of shady bad-guys, who claimed to be me, but weren't. They were allegedly going to grab the package and run, and we were all going to lose out. It didn't matter to them that this was the solution, rather than the problem. It also didn't matter that none of them could provide any firsthand example of this happening.

This occurred even when (on eBay, anyway) my only listed address was the PO Box, and I could prove my identity there.

No matter that I begged them to ship to my box in the same message that carried my ACTUAL PAYMENT, which they each gladly accepted.

Fortunately, I'm no longer in that world, and I get anything that anybody will send me. I would still like to see more eyes opened to reality. Good Luck N5RV, it's an uphill swim.

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Find it interesting that Christoval TX has a Post Office since 1889 and yet they do not deliver?

N5RV likes this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The 40 year old mail trucks need repair.

N5RV likes this.
  7. N5RV

LOL! Interesting fact... :D

8. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't really know anything about this but this seems a little confusing ...

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/sri/ship-box.page

I know you're saying that SurePost is different but it's not surprising that a vendor simply looking at that FAQ would assume that they can't ship to a PO box.

Does a vendor who is all setup to use UPS Ground have to do something different for SurePost?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  9. N5RV

Yes, even their website is confusing.... UPS standard service will not deliver to a PO Box, UPS "Surepost" does. I have no idea why UPS makes this so confusing.... I have gotten UPS deliveries to my PO Box for the past 4 years that I've lived here.... as many others do here. I've even opened the front door of the post office for the UPS delivery person to bring in load of packages on her 4 wheeled dollie into the post office.... I've witnessed FEDEX roll up to the post office and drop off packages. If a person will not ship to a PO Box, they're ignorant. "Ignorant" doesn't mean you aren't smart. It means you ignore your own intelligence.

W1TRY likes this.
  10. N5RV

The next package I receive, I'll snap a photo of the label...… I have one coming from R&L Electronics on Monday. It's coming UPS Surepost, to my PO Box. It's a Diamond SD330-3/8 Screwdriver antenna. So it's in a box at least 3 foot long I would think. Certainly it won't be in my PO Box, but a notice will be. I'll take the notice into the office and they will give me the package. The UPS label will have my name and my PO Box address on it... (crossing fingers that I'm not wrong...LOL!). All kidding aside, UPS Surepost does deliver to a PO Box and their website is still confusing and needs updating...