No PO Box accepted????

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by N5RV, Nov 24, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My local post office serves about 7,000 people and covers over 200 square miles. Yesterday I got a QSL addressed to my local radio club ( N4ACW Rubermont Radio Club ), no post office box on the address, no street address shown. But delivered nonetheless. I guess we are famous, at least in this very small part of the world.

N1VAU and N5RV like this.
  2. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

That is how it works for me. I order a lot of items on line and anymore most of my purchases are shipped via FedEx and then when it gets to the local FedEx station it gets handed off to the USPS. Then USPS brings it to the apartment complex and puts it in the box or if it does not fit they give it to the front office.
    I have never had any problems with items being shipped this way. And in regards to the delivery date I usually get the item 2 or 3 days before the posted ETA at the time of shipping.
    Maybe this is only true for me in Overland Park KS.

And when it comes to choosing whom you will ship to is the right of the seller. While most shipping restriction declared by the seller hurt the seller the most. They are definitely reducing the number of potential buyers. While I think the restrictions set by sellers are mostly silly it is their right. And like the one seller that lists he does not ship to Washington State, while that makes no sense to me at all, it is his right to do that. So I guess it seems, to me, silly to get worked up about where a seller wants to ship. If a seller does not want to ship to Kansas or ship to an apartment number I just move on to another ad.

That is my opinions.

John, WB0MPB

N5RV likes this.
  3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Barring huge snow storms or fires...like in CA... Fedex and UPS always delivery on their ETA date at my location. Pretty good in my estimate. Never before. When using a Postal hand-off it used to be a day or two later. Recently, when a postal service hand off is noted....there is no ETA! At least that's been my recent experience.

N5RV likes this.
  4. N5RV

N5RV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What happens here when I order from shippers that ship UPS SurePost (Amazon mostly), they count the day for USPS to deliver to the house. But in my case since there is no deliver to the house I get it a day earlier in my PO Box which I kinda like.....

This whole discussion is kinda on a tangent, but its a good tangent... HIHI!

I just wish folks would stop their prejudice on mailing to a PO Box. I face it often on eBay also, but when paying Paypal it give me the option to put in the street address and I hope for the best it will arrives. I don't like to have it come to the post office having the street address since they are under no obligation to put it (or a notice if it is a package) in the PO Box.....

Shipping to my street address via UPS or FEDEX always comes to the house, and if it is shipped to PO Box, it comes to either based on their route load it seems.... if I have more than 2 packages coming UPS to my PO Box, they deliver to the house instead.... so they have my PO Box and street address linked in their database, much like FEDEX....

All in all I think all shippers are making adjustments ahead of the knowledge of the general public. I'm just try to spread the word that you have better and safer options now and limiting PO Box is no longer needed especially if the shipment is prepaid....

Some folks say they accept a check with a 10 day wait which I have no problem with, but if they compound their troubles with no PO Box, then I question their logic. If you accept my money into your hands, why does a PO Box make a difference....

WD0BCT likes this.
  5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There are rural USPS routes where the "address" consists of one's name and the rural route name. No street or numerical address.

N5RV likes this.
  6. N5RV

N5RV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting!

7. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I lived on Rural Route 5,..... in the 60's

N5RV likes this.
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought a zip code was numeric. :rolleyes:

N5RV likes this.
  9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Although I have a street address my mail comes to a 'PO Box'. :) Its a community mailbox facility of about 500 boxes. If the item doesn't fit in the box then the carrier comes to your house and delivers it. Simple as that.
    Well, the substitute carriers have a nasty habit of leaving the yellow card in the box saying you weren't at home and instructing you to go to town to pick up the parcel. I sign off on it requesting a re-delivery and drop it in the outgoing box. I figure the regular carrier gets pissed about having to do the other slacker's work and makes a bigger stink than I could :p

10. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been following this thread with some interest, since first posted by N5RV, and I'll say that I've also been subject to the same limitation, where private sellers refuse to ship to my PO Box.

When I moved to my previous address 20+ years ago, I quickly realized that I had about a 50% chance of delivered parcels remaining on my porch when I got home from work. It was a great neighborhood, but just a few miles from the 'big' city line, so we were easy targets.

The simple answer was a PO Box, where the success rate was 100%, and I could stop by at any hour at my convenience. Naturally, this was long before the lines of transport began to get blurry among the carriers, so I had to pass up some great deals where the seller wouldn't budge on their policy. Take note, mostly the sellers, whether private or retail, who would ship an item MY way, would get my business, if I could afford the choice.

My plan "C" was one of my lovely neighbors who would allow me to redirect one of the commercial carriers to their address, but what an imposition, and hassle.

So, in all my years of trying, and throughout this whole discussion, I've not yet received an answer to this question:

WHY don't you want to ship to a PO BOX?

I agree with the original premise; I've paid for the item, and presumably the seller wouldn't ship unless they've confirmed the payment, so what's the difference? The package will be held in a secure location until pickup by the boxholder, job done. What's the problem here?

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

N5RV likes this.