"NO-PAYPAL" ???

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by N8QZH, Jan 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If it won't fit in one of the three "flat rate USPS boxes", shipping to HI, AK, Guam, PR, etc. is INSANE.

Happy to do it if the buyer is willing to pay. Usually they are NOT willing and the deal falls apart.

If my item can fit on one of the USPS Flat Rate boxes, I will happily ship anywhere they are valid, for the same price as shipping around my own town.

This has been covered MANY TIMES in other threads.

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    W3ESE and N0TZU like this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Its Zone 8 shipping. Same as from NY to California. A 20 lb large package from WA to PR is the same cost as WA to anywhere on the East Coast.
    Yes, the prices are outrageous these days.

3. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand that shipping to another country is a PITA, even when there is a so called Free Trade Agreement between the countries. FTAs are for the benefit of businesses, not private buyers/sellers.

Back to 'domestic' shipping.

I 'wonder' if anybody has ever thought about listing the price plus shipping from Zip XXXXX, and letting the prospective buyer decide? The seller will have to go to the post office anyways. If the seller wants to go the 'extra mile', he may check before hand if the item will fit in a flat rate box. If yes, he may then 'offer' shipping included in the deal.

Oh...but the prospective buyer always try to get free shipping, you say. Well...tell him that his 'search' continues. What's the problem?

If this is all too 'complicated' stick with flea markets or pick-ups.

Courier is a different story. I don't expect private sellers to get involved with that.

I still think this is a tempest in tea cup. All part of the buy/sell 'drama', I guess. We are so 'smart' for some things, and become totally 'paralyzed' with others.

4. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some geography: Michigan is NORTH of Canada. :)

5. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

And SW Ontario is SOUTH of Northern California (42 Degrees North Latitude).:D

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

An informal daisy chain shipping method is used in my 4x4 club once in a while when the item is too large or heavy to ship (auto part), the buyer and seller live too far away to conveniently meet, and it’s not urgent. The item is entrusted to another club member who happens to be driving for some distance toward the destination. He hands it off to another club member who goes another part of the way, and so on until it gets to the buyer.

It takes time as it depends on the travel schedules of the participants, and the item can sit for a little while at someone’s house, but it works. The steps get posted on the club website as they happen so there’s little chance of someone secretly absconding with the goods. Obviously there are still risks like accidental damage.

7. KG5KOG

KG5KOG Ham Member QRZ Page

And Alaska is the most eastern US state.

8. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Holy cow! When did they move it?

9. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

They didn't. You might want to do a quick Google on that topic ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

10. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Duh, your right. And I was so hoping to make a short trip into Alaska when I visit Maine later this year.