"NO-PAYPAL" ???

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by N8QZH, Jan 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Over twenty years back purchased a piece of gear from an 80 meter swap net. The seller was one of your countrymen. The equipment was crap so, as it turned out, was the seller. What is the recourse? None of the enforcement agencies in this country have any authority in Canada. Don't thank me for making my last purchase from Canada over twenty years ago, thank your fellow Canadian.

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a similar story to yours, around 20 years ago as well, but the other way around. Thank him too.:D

P.S. I won't ship to the US either.;)

KA0HCP and K3XR like this.
  3. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Got it. Love your tongue in cheek humor.
    Some Canadian hams have USA addresses for shipping purposes or sometimes use their employer's. Just a thought . . . Please send me an email.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  4. VA3VF

Yep...I'm only about 90 minutes' drive from Ogdensburg, NY. There is a place there popular with area people for this very purpose.

I don't buy enough to justify the 'procedure', but those that do say it's worth the 'trouble'.

5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I once had a guy in Michigan refuse to ship to Puerto Rico so I refuse to ship to Michigan.
    Its actually true. For a while I put no sales to Michigan in my ads. It was sort of a joke.

K3XR and N0TZU like this.
  6. VA3VF

Not trying to get political here, but some people may think it's somewhere in South America.:D

What about Hawaii and Alaska, they are 'full' states. What's the problem with those?

7. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Its a long argument and I won't go there.

8. KD5SPX

KD5SPX Ham Member QRZ Page

Many ads exclude paypal not only because they cant recoup the fee, which i always add 3.5 % to if I buy and they take paypal cause its just right, but the other main reason is paypal protects the buyer should the seller be selling crap that dont work right and does not reveal that in the for sale post. So the buyer pays other than paypal and has no recourse if the item does not work correctly or if in fact they put a brick in the box and send it to the buyer. With paypal you get your money back, of course at the sellers expense, whether you are in denial or not a lot of things sold here are sold knowing there is a particular issue with them and sometimes the buyer dont find out for 2 weeks of use, thats why if the item sold here does not take paypal I dont buy it here, I figure its better buying it new and paying more instead of paying twice once to buy it and once to get it fixed. YMMV.

9. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Personally, I only accept gold pressed latinum.

10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The USPS serves all states and territories of the US including the flat rate boxes (I see that CanadaPost has a similar flat rate box program). Still there are some who don't realize this and reflexively say they won't ship to other than CONUS, the conterminous 48 states. Fred, owner of QRZ, has discussed this:

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/conus-is-obsolete.630656/#post-4828074

Private shippers (UPS, Fedex, etc.) typically charge more based on distance even within the US. Buyers in more remote areas should expect to pay more using those services, but that doesn't mean they won't ship there or that sellers should avoid those areas.

N6HCM likes this.