"NO-PAYPAL" ???

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by N8QZH, Jan 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N8QZH

N8QZH Ham Member QRZ Page

Why is this so prevalent in the swap-meet ?

Is it related to the fee, or security issues or what ?

As a buyer Paypal offers you added security, and as a seller it allows you to be paid Immediately.

I personally wont buy anything except through paypal.

If the posting says "No Paypal" I just move on..

WA8MEA, KQ0J, W4HM and 1 other person like this.
  2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Folks are free to accept the method of payment they prefer as you are free to "move on".

By the way have nothing against PayPal use it all the time.

W5PFG and KA0HCP like this.
  4. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

From my viewpoint it is the combination of the fee and the squirrelly buyers and sellers today. I'm at the point where I'll only accept USPS Money Orders (with a refundable PayPal "good faith deposit" on large $ items) or Zelle. Here's an excerpt from a post by W7UUU that says it best.
    So if you buy my receiver, steal all 16 tubes out of it, then complain to Paypal that you got a receiver with no tubes (even providing photos!), I get to give you a 100% refund via Paypal and I get to pay return shipping of the stripped chassis? True story and it happened to me.
    Nope. Not for me. Never again.
    When I sell, it's USPS money order only. Don't like it? Don't buy my stuff.
    And when I purchase? I only use Paypal. Don't like it? Don't sell to me.
    I watch MY interests. It's pretty simple.

K9ASE, N3AB and W7UUU like this.
  5. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My take is simple enough. If both buyer and seller are honest, honorable, and reasonable, then it doesn't matter how the payment is made. But if either the buyer or the seller is dishonest, dishonorable, or unreasonable, then paypal tends to protect the buyer and USPS tends to protect the seller. The problem is unless you really know who you are dealing with, there is risk involved. I would not be buying or selling something unless I was willing to take some risk.

That said, I have yet to be burned buying or selling any ham gear with the one exception of a seller who did a poor job packing an old receiver which arrived with busted tubes and loose sockets. I won't buy from him again. I simply accepted the loss and moved on.

Of course part of the problem is that different people have different definitions of what is honest and reasonable. For some "honest and reasonable" are simply getting what they want. There are no guarantees, but checking into a buyer's/seller's reputation helps. Sometimes there are clues.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If the seller doesn't take Paypal, move along and buy elsewhere.

It's not rocket science :)

Dave
    W7UUU

K9ASE and KA0HCP like this.
  7. VA3VF

Time for a 'Jeremiah' of my own.:D

Why won't you ship to Canada? It's my right to have items shipped to my home country. What's wrong with you people? I'll never buy from you again!:rolleyes:

:confused::confused:

P.S. It reminds me of the prospective buyer that complains to the seller the asking price is too high. The seller agrees, but says he is not buying anything, so it's not his problem to solve.;)

8. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It must be frustrating. I can totally see that. But the customs PITA is just a hassle on this end. I used to ship outside the USA but got tired of dealing with the forms.

Dave
    W7UUU

9. VA3VF

I was joking. It's the same 'shift' the other way around. Free trade my 'arsenal'.:D

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For me, it's not just "Canada," it's any country outside the U.S., and for only one reason: Import duties or taxes that often must be paid to clear the shipment through Customs.

This has happened to me, personally: I ship stuff to Vancouver (in this case, but it could be anywhere), using my personal FedEx account. Buyer is contacted by Customs with a demand to pay the tax. Buyer doesn't pay the tax but says they want the item delivered. FedEx charges me, on my account, so I get a bill for the tax. Meanwhile, buyer has the goods and never paid the tax -- I could either pay it myself, or lose my account with FedEx as they won't allow any uncollectables to accrue beyond 30 days.

So, now I'm stuck.

The other possibility is the buyer declines to pay the tax, and I ship prepaid and blind, not on my own account, but from a FedEx shipping center. Now they have no way to collect the tax, so they return the goods to me -- that's very nice, except they charge the freight for the return shipment or I cannot collect the goods.

Overall, it's just "not worth it" unless such details are worked out in advance, and the import duty or VAT or whatever it is can be prepaid to me, so I ship it FOB DESTINATION and there's nothing further to collect.

It's not "Canada," it's shipping anywhere there can be a duty or VAT collected by whatever authorities collect that.