ad: chuckmartin

"No PAYPAL" = Scammer ?

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by N7MTC, Dec 31, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W2NAP

W2NAP Ham Member QRZ Page

ding ding ding, I tell people send me postal money order. and the address they send the mo to will be same as one listed in the fcc db.

As for paypal, id use it to buy, but not to sale. paypal got way to much stupidity for me to deal with in selling something. up to 90 days holding my money while they get rich off of it (I never see the profit they make, and I dont like when people take my money and make profit on it without giving me said profit. its my damn money not paypals) plus the scammers who use paypal against honest sellers. nope paypal when selling not worth it, send me postal mo or fo

2. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have sold a lot using pay pal to collect money. I have had buyers try to take me but I always have won and prevailed over the buyer. For me I describe the item but ALWAYS put in big letters, AS-IS. If a buyer does not like as-IS they can move on to another seller. The AS-IS has always saved me and pay pal released my money. So to say that pay pal is always against the seller is very wrong. If that is true with you as a seller then you need to word your ads better. Sorry I am sure I stepped on some toes and ruffled some feathers with my post. I had to state the facts of my selling.
    John

3. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

WB0MPB:

AMEN!

Considering the degree of puffery in ham ads -- mint, minty, super mint -- you would think that those hams were selling used cars, not used radio gear.

The less said oin an ad, the less ther's to hold you to!

N9LCD

KN7S likes this.
  4. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Amen. You are preaching to the choir.....

5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I never take Paypal as a seller, and never buy any other way than Paypal.

Don't like it? Don't buy my stuff or sell me stuff.

It's a big big world with LOTS of choices.

And no, I'm not a scammer

Dave
    W7UUU

6. W8NIC

W8NIC Ham Member QRZ Page

I refuse to use paypal when selling. Here's why:

A few years back, I sold a perfectly clean and perfectly working dual band (vhf/uhf) radio to a ham in Florida (I already forget his call). I accepted his paypal payment. A few weeks later, he wanted a refund because the radio did not work. THIS IS A FEW WEEKS LATER! I declined his demand. He then files a claim via paypal and paypal sided with the buyer. The buyer then was asked to return the radio and got his money refunded. He was asked to send radio back and to show proof that he did.
    Guess what? paypal took my money and I never got the radio back.
    So, never again will I use paypal when selling.
    I always ask my buyers to check me out on any ham forums before they buy from me.

I do request that all hams post their buying/selling experience on "HAM TO HAM" reference on this site so we can all do our own investigating if the person we are dfealing with is legit, good or bad.
    I have posted a few regarding the hams I've recently dealt with......

BTW, If you check your paypal summary, you will see that it say:

YOU HAVE UNTIL (6 MONTHS) TO FILE A CLAIM FOR THIS ITEM.

i don't think so.......

7. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Ham Member QRZ Page

I use PayPal when selling. I sold an HF rig, Tempo 2020 I used years ago. It worked last time I used it but at the time I had no antenna to test it so I started the bid at $1.00 an in very big letters put AS-IS. I did not want to cheat anyone so I started the bid low. It ended up going for about $300.00. I could not believe it went so high on an AS-IS sale. After he got the radio he said it did not work right and made a claim. PayPal took my money and all I did is showed PayPal it was an AS-IS sale and let them deceived what was right. They said I was right and gave me my money. The guy never would tell me what he thought was wrong with the rig. I am not sure if he was trying to rip me off or not but PayPal sided with me. So that is one of the times I was protected as a seller.
    John, WB0MPB

K2HAT likes this.
  8. K3NB

K3NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Paypal's fees are high and their support of political positions antithetical to the right to keep and bear arms keeps many people from using them.

I trust USPS money orders more than I do certified bank checks. There's a ghost of a chance of prosecution if fraud is committed while using USPS MOs.

What I trust LEAST is "I would really like funds transferred directly into my bank account."

Now THAT's suggestive of a scam.

FWIW

Norm
    K3NB

9. KV4RH

KV4RH Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah.

Just means some old fart who hasn't caught up with the times, and has no interest in protecting both parties in the sale.

Pretty simple. Keep on scrolling, in my opinion. (Would you pay with beads, pelts or wompum? Nope...so why pay with a money order....equally antiquated.)

N7MTC likes this.
  10. WX7P

WX7P Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems like a lot of sound and fury over not much. A little common sense in selling prevents 95% of problems.

I can usually tell if a buyer is going to be a problem just by the kinds of questions they ask. I get the vibe that someone is going to cause me problems, I won't sell the item to them.

If they 'pre-bitch' about a perceived potential problem, you can bet it'll come up after they receive the item. This is especially true with condition queens who think every used radio should be showroom spotless. It's not worth it to me to deal with people like that. I never need to sell a radio.

Paypal is just another tool the finicky use to mess with you and give them the jollies, excitement and righteous indignation they need to fill their drab, wretched little lives. If you properly vet your buyers, you should be able to avoid the bozos and have few to no problems.