ad: Radclub22-1

No-Nonsense Extra Class License Study Guide Now Available

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KB6NU, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OK I'll bite...

What makes a 1986 Extra a "real" Extra but not a 2012 Extra?

I've been an Extra since 1970 - back when it required 2 years' experience as General, Conditional or Advanced, 20 wpm code sending and receiving tests, secret multiple-choice written tests, and all tests had to be passed at one FCC-administered exam session.

But even that wasn't the top of the mountain! There was a period from 1951 to the early 1960s when not only did the Extra require all of the above but the test was not multiple-choice. And it covered both the Advanced and Extra theory material in one 100 question test. (When the Advanced was reopened to new issues in 1967, they took the 1966 Extra test and split it into two parts to make up the new Advanced and Extra tests. )

Seems to me that if somebody has a valid Extra they're a "real" Extra, regardless of vintage.

73 de Jim, N2EY

2. N2EY

Why?

The nose-spiting-face thing comes to mind.

73 de Jim, N2EY

3. N2EY

I suggest you take a practice exam (can be done right here on the 'zed) and see how you do. You may find that you really don't have to learn all that much new stuff in order to pass.

Remember that all the exams are 74% passing grade. That means you only need to get 37 of the 50 questions right. There is no bonus for doing better than passing.

73 de Jim, N2EY

4. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

What's so wrong about stating when you got the extra? Not one thing. I just stated extra since 1986.

Did I say anyone else wasn't a real extra because of the date they got the license ? No I did not.

5. N2EY

The exact quote is "Real Extra since 1986". Which implies that there are Extras who aren't "real". At least one person other than me interpreted it that way.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Extra since 1970

6. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

You interpret however you want to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.