ad: Sussex-1

No-Nonsense Extra Class License Study Guide Now Available

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KB6NU, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KB6NU

KB6NU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm happy to announce that the No-Nonsense Extra Class License Study Guide is now available.

The No-Nonsense series of amateur radio license study guides has become famous for helping people pass the tests. Written in a simple, easy-to-understand style, this study guide will help you upgrade to Amateur Extra Class. Here's an excerpt:

Digital circuits are used for a variety of functions in modern amateur radio equipment. Unlike analog circuits, the output voltage of an ideal digital circuit can only be one of two values. One of these voltages—normally a positive voltage—represents a digital 1. The other value—normally near 0 V—represents a digital 0.

This type of logic is generally called positive logic. Positive Logic is the name for logic which represents a logic '1' as a high voltage. (E7A11) The logic may be reversed, though. That is to say that a high voltage may represent a logic 0. Negative logic is the name for logic which represents a logic '0' as a high voltage. (E7A12)

The microcomputers that control today’s transceivers, for example, are very complex digital circuits. These complex digital circuits are made by combining many smaller building blocks called logic gates. These gates perform basic digital logic functions.

One of the most basic digital circuits in the NAND gate. The logical operation that a NAND gate performs is that it produces a logic '0' at its output only when all inputs are logic '1.' (E7A07)​
    The study guide costs $7.99, and is available from my website, Amazon.Com, or Barnes&Noble.Com. For more information on the Extra Class study guide, as well as my other study guides, go to http://www.kb6nu.com/tech-manual.

2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have to ask myself. Do I really need the extra 25khz of the "Extra" portions of a band on CW to learn (memorize) this info at almost 66 years of age and having been a general for over 51 years?? :confused: It's probably great for someone younger or just starting out. At one time (1961) I had ALL of the "privileges" as a general, but then things changed. :) dit dit

3. KB6NU

Well, that's certainly up to you, but why not go for it? Not only do you get those 25 kHz of CW space, but more SSB frequencies, too. Plus, if you ever decide to be a VE, you'll be able to administer all of the tests, not just the Tech tests.

I only got my Extra about five years ago, after being an Advanced for nearly 30 years. I used to joke that I wanted to be the "last living Advanced Class licensee in the U.S." After many of the guys I taught in my Tech and General Class courses got their Extras, I decided that I'd go get mine. It wasn't all that difficult after spending so many years in the hobby, and I feel good about being an Extra. I even learned a thing or two studying for the test, and isn't learning new things a big part of amateur radio?

4. KB9UMT

KB9UMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you Dan for your information/post and all you do to help others! Much appreciated.

Don KB9UMT

5. W5BIB

Dan, I hope I didn't come across as unappreciative for all you do (publish) for folks trying to up-grade. It's (IMHO) after sooo many years of CW only,... I have no need nor desire SSB / A.M. privileges. How I wish there were a "CW ONLY" license (sigh). It's kinda like, why do I need a Class "A" CDL with "HAZMAT" endorsement if I only drive a car? Having been a CW only operator / instructor for Uncle SAM for over 51 years... Methinks my mind is shot !! I can't even remember what day it is anymore (not that it matters) now that I'm retard.....(oops)... retired. I still know "tubes"... but, kinda got left behind with the state-of-the-art stuff. Guess that's why I still operate "tubes" (with the exception of my IC-735). I worked for almost 10 years as a "commercial" CW operator for WLO Mobile Marine Radio as a CW high seas operator with only a 3rd class Radio Telegraph Operators license. I had no need to hold a 1st or 2nd class license due to the fact I was not going to sea. (been there, done that) ...I wish someone would propose a "CW ONLY" amateur license so that some of us old farts could just QSY off into the sunset with the CW privileges we earned oh sooo many years ago. I guess there's some merit in the "saying"; "can't teach an old dog, new tricks"... (he grins) I can still "pull" a tube to check, but forget about all the "state-of-the-art" stuff. Keep up your great work & thanks for not being offended by my first reply to ur post. t u dit dit

6. W0HAO

W0HAO QRZ Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree, you are too old and overqualified for this guide. For the rest of us it looks like a very nice guide and I plan on purchasing it. I don't mean disrespect, but how does being a general for 51 years negate the concept of this study guide for people, many of whom are not generals and are probably much younger than you. I guess I missed your point. Just because you are to old to upgrade, by your own words of course, it doesn't mean other won't benefit from this very nice publication....

7. W5BIB

Very true sir. My last sentence was: "Keep up your great work..." If I weren't "stuck in the past",... I would be studying this publication, but I'm perfectly content to be where I'm at, at this point in my life. I didn't mean to take anything away from Dans efforts to further the "state of the art". :)

8. WB3CII

WB3CII Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve,
    I am 62 and have been a General since 1972. After laying low for bunch of years, I have rekindled my love for ham radio. I am studying for the Extra and plan on passing it in a month or so. Part of it is because of activity I have heard on the Extra part of the bands, both CW and SSB but have not been able to respond to.

The other reason is strictly self improvement. My goal has always been to learn something new every single day of my life and try to improve myself. This is probably just as much of a motivating factor than anything, at least for me.

If you don't see a need for it, then dont worry about it :)

9. K5UNX

K5UNX Ham Member QRZ Page

I get this when browsing to the page:

[h=1]Forbidden[/h]You don't have permission to access /tech-manual on this server.
    Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

10. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

Real Extra since July 1986.

11. K7EVI

K7EVI Ham Member QRZ Page

NO!!!!! NO MORE EXTRAs! The subbands are crowded enough!!! ------ Oh, that is what I was told when I went for the Advanced and extra -- just a few days ago --- oops, at this time it does seem like only a few days ago but it has been xiv years.
    The only thing I hope for in this is that it is not one of these "Study to Pass" whether you learn anything or not. There are a big bunch of hams in this area - they got the paper, but many do not even know how to set up their HTs -- they have channels 1 through 6.... and no idea how to operate simplex - or what to do because 2 of the repeaters have gone off the air... And a couple of them are General Class, or so I am told.
    I am trying to relearn CW. A head injury in 1991... I have made two CW contacts in the last few months, without blacking out! and CW identifiers on repeaters no longer give me cluster headaches. I thought there were CW only bands -- or do you mean bands where you have to have a fist and not just a computer?

12. KB6NU

Unfortunately, my website was hit with a denial-of-service (DoS) attack by some Russian hackers and had to be taken down for a while. The site is back up and running now. Please try it again. Thanks and 73, Dan.

13. W1MSG

W1MSG Ham Member QRZ Page

Comments like this is why I'll never upgrade..

14. W5BIB

Nice bio MSGT & thanks for your service.

15. WB3CII

WB3CII Ham Member QRZ Page

Craig,
    You should never use people who make those kinds of comments keep you from improving yourself. They are usually just jealous :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.