ad: wmr-1

No Noise!!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7WR, May 17, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Licensed for 62 + years and active on HF most of that time. Today in spite of pouring rain is a first. I have heard HF bands in the past with very minimal noise but today my S meter shows ZERO noise on 20 meter SSB. Lot's of signals and even weak ones just jump out at me given the fact that noise is not present. At first I thought my antennas were disconnected but, no, just zero noise. Same on my OCFD, cobweb and even the vertical. Wish the band was like this all the time. Plenty of stations to work with no noise to contend with

AF7XT and N1VAU like this.
  2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't ever remember no background noise with an antenna connected to the radio, that certainly is rare.

Maybe it's because you're in Oregon, I hear not much happens there..:):D

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here!. Most innrtresting.

4. KR4YON

KR4YON Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is unusual as I just powered the rig down because of no activity on 20 meters. Not sure why it is so quite as the past 2 days
    I have been trying to locate some local interference that just disappeared right along with the noise floor.

5. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thay smoke a lot of weed in OR.

KA4DPO likes this.
  6. W5LEM

W5LEM Ham Member QRZ Page

No, no!! There was a 6.5 earthquake in Tonopah, NV. Long path propagation noise is zilch point sh-dookey. Where's that looney dude when you need him? He knows. Short path, too.

AF7XT, N3FAA and N0TZU like this.
  7. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No noise, no activity, you say?

Maybe the weather was nice and people were outside?! Could be the "tuner uppers" and the consumer electronic RFI generators were turned off and people were enjoying a spring weekend?

It was a beautiful weather weekend here in central New Hampshire. I spent many hours outside working on my lightning grounding protection. Nothing says ham radio fun like pounding in a 8' ground rods and buring #2 tinned copper wire in "the granite state".

It would have been nice to experience no noise on HF but for me not as nice as the first weekend of the season, being outside at 70°, light breeze that kept the bugs and low humidity.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  8. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

Jerry , unlike you I had the usual urban noise to contend with although greatly reduced. The singular unique effect was 6m here was an off on switch.
    It was there and gone , there and gone all day and into the evening. Admittedly this was off the OCFD but still, I (we) have that bandwidth on the antenna w/o tuner and surprising gain.

N7WR likes this.
  9. KN1M

KN1M Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no noise here 30-10. Usually S5-7 sometimes worse. Armchair copy on stations not moving the meter. Antenna is low dipole (25 ft) in the city. I noticed the same thing a couple of days ago. Is this our consolation prize for no Dayton this year?

NL7W likes this.
  10. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

propagation may 18 2020.jpg

73 - k1lkp