No More used Ham Gear for me

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N8FVJ, Sep 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I cannot believe the broken gear I received last few months. Only one good operating item received. Ten Tec Eagle with low power 30 watts out. Heil dual element microphone with one broken element. Two receivers that do not work correctly. Some items were bought on Ham sites (not eBay) and I lose return shipping on those items. The Eagle cost me $36 return shipping. I am done.

If it is not new, I do not want it!

G7UQN, KI7HSB, KE0GXN and 4 others like this.
  2. W4WTS

W4WTS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think I'm there too.....I bought a Yaesu 5000 used.....it ran perfectly for a little over a week....then both receivers went deaf....

K0UO likes this.
  3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm really sorry to hear that. Over my extended ham career, I have received COUNTLESS fine operating rigs from fellow hams...and an equal number of rigs that needed minimal TLC to get them up and running. Maybe Fairbanks hams are more honest, because there's nowhere we can run and hide.

WD4IGX, N7BKV, W4KJG and 6 others like this.
  4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

wow.... not me. My entire station is used equipment and it all works well. Used equipment can serve you well, IF you make sure it's good before you buy it.

The trick is to not buy from vendors you don't know, or gear you can't verify if it works correctly. .... and never buy equipment off of e-bay.

Sure, the prices might look appealing but nowadays you have no idea who they are or if they are full of malarky. This applies to a lot of things other than Ham Radios. I once bought a $700 telescope, advertised as "mint condition"... but when it got here the lens was scratched, all of the screw heads were damaged, and the focus knob was bent. Luckily I got my money back, but only after tracking the jerk down and threatening to sue him.

My advice is not to give up on used gear, just give up on used gear you can't test / verify personally before you buy it.... .and if you can't test it then don't buy it.

KJ6KHP and K9ASE like this.
  5. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not find any venders (ham radio stores) listing items for sale. My ham friends do not have anything for sale. Can't remember when they sold anything. I am seriously done.

6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

The same people who would never buy a used car sight unseen based on a few pictures willingly do that with a radio and then wonder why they have a problem.

WA8FOZ, VK6APZ, WZ7U and 2 others like this.
  7. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand, and find that kind of sad. I guess I'm lucky, since out local ham clubs are always having Tail-Gaitors and Hamfests... so used equipment is easy to come by here.

But... if nothing is available, then buying new might be your only choice.

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In retirement, I'm back to boat anchors (though not exclusively, an IC7610 is on my Christmas list :) ). With the older gear, I don't want something working. I don't necessarily want a basket case, but I want a project, something that needs a little work. When I get an old girl back on the air, the feeling of accomplishment is a large part of the payoff. ;)

WD4IGX, WQ4G, N8VIL and 3 others like this.
  9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How much looking did you do, OM? https://www.hamradio.com/used.cfm

WD4IGX and N5PAR like this.
  10. KK4ZYM

KK4ZYM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a crap shoot. I bought a SB-200 at a hamfest and so far it's been working great. I bought a TS-820S off of eBay with the same good results. I later bought a VFO-820 off of eBay and except for some bent connector pins (replaced connector), I have been pleased. I bought a MFJ-989C off of eBay and ran into a little more trouble. The watt/swr meter didn't work and the belt (O-Ring) that spins the inductor turns counter was missing. I contacted the seller and, since he offered a money back guarantee, he was prepared to refund my money and let me keep the tuner. I didn't feel right about that, so I offered a compromise. I asked him to refund enough money to buy an external meter from Gigaparts that I had picked out and I would come up with the 10 cent O-Ring that was required to make the counter work. He agreed and it ended well.

Maybe I'm lucky. Maybe I have enough patience to wait for "THE ONE" to cross my path. Who knows.

N3AWS and K0UO like this.