NO MORE PAPER AND INK CALL SIGNS!

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by N2MDX, Jun 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N2MDX

N2MDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

JULY 1ST IS FINALLY HERE!! AND NO MORE NON VERIFIED SCAMMER ADS!
    :):):):);););););):D:D:D:D:D

2. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Same is true of hand writing it.

This is a solution in search of a problem. The point of including the call sign is so they can't just use a stock photo, at least not without some work at photo editing to insert the call sign. That's the same whether it's a pre-printed QSL card or name and call scrawled on an index card by hand.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Indeed! The likelihood of scammers managing to get through both the 2FA and IDV (with some sort of faked ID) are so small as to be inconsequential.

Dave
    W7UUU

N2MDX likes this.
  4. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not exactly. It is an excellent solution that has tripped up scammers over and over again. The callsign in the photo proves the seller had the radio in his possession at the time the photo was taken and that is also why QRZ suggested a hand written callsign on a piece of paper was best.

5. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you missed my point. We are in agreement. The OP was asking that hand written call signs not be allowed, only printed QSL cards. Leaving aside the fact that not all hams have printed QSL cards, I was saying that this particular thing would be "a solution in search of a problem" for basically the same reason you are saying and they require it in the photo. It doesn't really matter if it's printed or hand written - either way means they either legitimately took a photo of gear they own or did some work with image editing to insert such into a stock photo, and scammers are too lazy for that as a rule. Easier to just scam someone/somewhere else.

6. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I did miss your point, sorry. This senility thing is beginning to annoy me . . .

7. WC3T

WC3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't have one. What's a fellow to do?

N2MDX likes this.
  8. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Horses have their own emissions, lol.

N2MDX likes this.
  9. N2MDX

N2MDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

yes they do :D

10. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

What if we install some kind of filter? Similar to a DPF on a Diesel engine. Try not to get kicked. :)