No more excuses: Learning CW

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by AG7BF, Oct 10, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. 2W0OTK

2W0OTK Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the comments here, some useful information. I've started learning Morse a couple of weeks ago. We've been told firmly not to use a key until we can copy reliably at a decent speed. We started with A two lessons ago, and our teacher just added a letter each time we'd got comfortable with the previous ones.

I've been practising using a web site which plays out Morse from text you give it, and once I've got proficient up to Z I'm planning to listen to some of the live feeds like the CNN news one. I don't have a radio at home yet, but I've ordered a Pixie kit, to see if I can listen in on some CW.

KE8EAS likes this.
  2. M0AUW

M0AUW Ham Member QRZ Page

Generally it will take 3 or 4 months to learn at a nice steady pace, no rush, enjoy it. Practice regularly and you're right no sending until you can copy a reasonable speed. You'll find bits suddenly click in place, one day you can't string a couple of letters together, the next day its no problem.
    practise practise practise, can't say it enough, If I can do it (and I've done it twice!) you can do it. I say that cos the second time round was because of a stroke (fully fit now glad to say) but back then I'd lost my memory so all the letters had gone! It was much harder the second time and I'm still getting there at about 14 wpm, but I try to practise every day.
    Good luck, keep at it no matter how much of a struggle!

73s Richard

KU4X and KE8EAS like this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder who told you that? I think it's bad advice.

Sending is exactly as important as receiving, and I've always found students do far better when they learn them both at the same time.

4. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I am always amused at how people think there are special and/or secret techniques to learn Morse code. Just get some note cards, and do it. Listening is a great way to re-enforce the learning.

5. AG7BF

AG7BF Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's where I heard that advice:

http://www.pdarrl.org/K6RAU/

6. KE8EAS

KE8EAS Ham Member QRZ Page

Right, the only "secret" to learning code is listening! :D along with practice, of course. The speed of your comprehension is completely dependent on your willingness to, frequency of, and quality of practice.

7. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

I never use the iambic "feature." It's the child of the devil, IMHO.

I have a Bencher BY-1, my fourth one, and use it like a single paddle. It is set up normal, but I am left-handed, finger on dits, thumb on dahs. I didn't use a left-handed bug in the old days either. Of course,
    I don't need to send at 45 wpm, either.

KU4X likes this.
  8. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe I'm the odd one, always have been tho, hi. But I've found sending to be a very efficient way to re-enforce my instant recognition.
    I send all the ABC's and 123's then 'the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy brown dog' over and over again.
    Sometimes sending this over the air on an otherwise 'dead' band will generate an audience and an answer to a CQ when I've finished my drills.
    Give it a try. I used to hear a Chicagoland ham send 'bills best bent wire' to generate interest to his signals prior to his CQ calls but not in the past year.

9. KE8EAS

KE8EAS Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently heard an OM on a YouTube video sending "Ben's Best Bent Wire". Great warm up and a fun melody too! You can make that sentence sing on CW. Both of those you mentioned are a little more fun than just sending Paris.

K5MUG and KB2SMS like this.
  10. KB2SMS

KB2SMS Ham Member QRZ Page

He still does this, I copied him a week or two ago on 40m one evening. W9ZN is his call.

AG6QR and WB5YUZ like this.