ad: K6IOK-1

No Longer Available: Icom 706 Handle and Feet

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K6XLR, Jun 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
  1. K6XLR

K6XLR Ham Member QRZ Page

I am in need of a handle and feet for an old Icom 706. They are not available anywhere, even from Icom, even on eBay.

Since I am a Ham I thought to make my own handle from the available handle set of a newer Icom radio. All I'd need to know is the distance between the two screws that hold the handles on the radios. I politely asked Icom for the distance between screws on the radios of ~ size and the diameter of the screws that hold the handles on. Nope. They tech I spoke to refused to tell me, if he even knew. I find this hard to understand given the sales figures for the 706, 706II and 706IIG. Be that as it may.

If any of you have a handle set on a 706 you never use please email me and we can talk turkey.

Thank you.
    Matthew Davies,
    K6XLR

2. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Can you just measure?

3. K6XLR

Sure, I can measure my 706. I can not measure all the other Icom radio handles that might fit. Or fit, with the help of a Dremel. The almost fit versions require more information than I have.

4. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Got it. Somehow I missed that you wanted to use a different Icom handle, and I had it in my mind that you were planning on making from scratch.

My bad.

5. K6XLR

Not a problem. :) I'd rather have the stock MB-72 stock handle/feet set but since that is so not an option I had to go with Plan B.
    At this point I may have to deploy Plan C, whatever that is.

6. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

NH7RO likes this.
  7. K6XLR

Your idea is good, but wouldn't work. 4.25 is about what the radio needs, bolt hole to bolt hole. Thanks anyhow.

8. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 706G but have never seen a handle available for it anytime.. I had a 706MkII as well----same story. If I wanted a handle I'd make one out of aluminum bar stock and some metric screws (likely M4s, IIRC)---or try the Parts Express routte---they stock a lot of Penn-Elcomm feet and other products.

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

You should be able to find appropriate feet in many places. As for the handle, do you have an HRO or other dealer relatively close by? OR, they may have one stuck in the back somewhere. Many radios have the screw size and type (almost always Metric) etched next to the screw hole; my Kenwoods do.

10. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

The correct feet may be tough to find. As for the strap handle I would pour over Ebay for "guitar amp strap handle". You may find some short ones. Fender has a 7 inch one. One that is too long may be easy to cut shorter and make new slotted holes. I don't recall Icom offering a handle for it. I still have a 706 Mk2.
    You might want to subscribe to the Icom 706 Yahoo usergroup and ask there for the feet at least. A couple guys may likely have a parts rig. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ic706/info