No FT8 ROBOTS allowed in ARRL Contests!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA6MHZ, Aug 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

yes, but could you explain HOW one does this thing that they don't want you to do??? I want to be sure of my own practice.

2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not really interested in developing new automation routines with the intent of cheating in contests but as some modes get increasingly automated it isn't that far fetched that someone could come up with a new set of computer to computer protocols that would do just that. If they do, they won't score contest points and that's about all the ARRL is saying here. Nothing in this ruling limits discussion or even points to existing protocols, it just clarifies the ARRL's stance on autonomous QSOs and contest scoring.

K4AGO likes this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess that's what I'm saying, too, OM. As long as you initiate the QSO, you can click macros or the FT8 auto-sequence to your heart's content. :)

4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Hacking" the program for hands-off operation is probably not the best term but the shoe fits.

5. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sorry but I'm still not quite understanding.
    I discovered in the field day that I couldl hit a button and my station would do an FT8 CQ.
    it could be enabled to accept the first reply and complete the connection and transfer information.
    Then I had to hit it again to restart the process.

Is that now illegal?

Thanks
    Gordon

6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is...or so it is said...I don't know anyone who's doing it...software out there that will allow the computer to fully automate the QSO. The computer calls CQ/answers a CQ, and no user intervention takes place. Doesn't sound very fun to me, but, if that blows somebody's skirt up, whatever. As long as there is a Control Operator there. ;)

7. K7TRF

I suspect that if your routine puts the computer in auto answer mode and you could walk away and leave your rig and the QSO would still occur at a later time when someone called CQ then yeah I suspect that violates this ruling. But I'm just going on what's been posted here, you might want to take that up with the ARRL's contest folks for clarification.

8. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Honestly, I'm not seeing the distinction, either.

Every digimode uses some level of automation. As long as there is a control operator present, the automation never quite reaches 100%. So what's the difference between 10% automation, 50% automation, and 99% automation?

It's just a question of degree.

9. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

If you run the wsjt-x, just click the Auto Seq box and the Call 1st box, then start calling CQ and let it go. Watch the QSO get logged. After the QSO is completed, you'll have to click the Enable Tx button to resume calling CQ. If only there were a way to automate that click, the process could continue indefinitely without operator intervention. I think that would run afoul of the regulations requiring a control operator, though.

K4AGO likes this.
  10. K7TRF

Based on what's been posted I'd say it's a matter of whether human presence at the time of the QSO is necessary or not. As someone posted above an auto answer full QSO routine that lets you get up and walk away from your rig and still log contest QSOs likely violates this rule. Macros and other routines that have to be human activated at the time of the QSO likely do not.

K4AGO likes this.