No FT8 ROBOTS allowed in ARRL Contests!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA6MHZ, Aug 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Like many of the rules of contests, it couldn't be. Well, other than by the constesters themselves. Some people will try to win by cheating. Most won't, however, because--if for no other reason--winning an operating contest that way would have zero meaning for most hams. Most hams are also honest and honorable. :)

KX4O, KJ4VTH and KP4SX like this.
  2. W4NNF

It's pretty clear that that would not be a problem. How is that different from pushing a button on my keyer and sending the contest exchange? But I am there at the rig, working that guy at least by pushing a button or two. ;)

3. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What if contest mode required each party to complete a CAPTCHA when making a QSO? :D

KX4O and KS4W like this.
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Because YOU are pushing the memory keyer button, not a computer.

5. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

That makes JUST AS MUCH SENSE as requiring my local EOC emergency manager's message to me, to be read by some ham somewhere who doesn't even know what happened in my county 3 hours ago....before I can read it....

6. W4NNF

How is that different from a clicking with your mouse to send a "macro" ?

7. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Because YOU are clicking the mouse, not the computer. Don't you see the distinction?

8. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, but clicking a mouse to launch a macro is still legal under these revised rules. They're trying to put rules in place to prohibit fully autonomous QSOs being counted towards contest points, if the QSO required human interactions like mouse clicks or pressing a memory button on a keyer then that's fine under these new rules. But if that mouse click launched a program that went off and made a bunch of QSOs while you went out to get a cup of coffee that's not kosher under these rules.

9. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you explain in simple terms HOW one holds a fully autonomous FT8 QSO?? I just am not sure I even know what you're talking about.
    ThANKS!

10. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually I see nothing in the new ruling that singles out FT8. Yeah the ham that posted this thread did so in the title, but as I see it the ARRL is just trying to put roadblocks in place so no one goes out and writes routines or develops new protocols that would score contest points without human interaction.