ad: cq2k-1

No FT8 ROBOTS allowed in ARRL Contests!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA6MHZ, Aug 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Rich,

I see you use a 6BTV. That's what I have. If you want to know how to add 160 meters to it drop me an email. It's very easy to do and works very well. I got WAS FT8 160 in just ten days with 100 watts. Only need AK for WAS CW 160 and 5 more for WAZ SSB 160.

Also have 123 countries and 28 zones on 160 now running 300 watts. Only need 2 more zones for the WAZ 160 award (first tier @30)

2. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

thanks, pat. you already sent it to me :) I just havent gotten around to doing it yet...

3. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

OK.. I responded to a lot of requests about the mod so I can't recall who I sent it to without checking my email. Need to start doing that first

4. UR6EA

UR6EA Ham Member QRZ Page

How to check if a Robot is being used?

So, I heard ... there are already CW Robot that decode the Callsign, down it into the log and make a QSO!

WSJT has Open Codes!

When someone gives a CQ call in FT-8, his Callsign is highlighted (marked).
    It is enough to insert a Subroutine that will find the "marker" and cause it to click and Call!

Therefore, you can forbid, appeal to conscience, persuade, but history shows that if there is no Punishment, there will be no observance of the Laws!
    And Punishment is possible when there is Control!
    We can protest, but we can’t change anything!

The only way is.... FT-8 mode to "stand out" in a Separate Fashion for Diplomas!
    Otherwise, all Ham`s go into FT-8 and CW will remains only for Contesting!

5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

It was in those 20 pages of tl;dr that it was explained that the new rule doesn't do anything of the kind. The wording is far too vague to prevent automated UI operation.

6. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not; I find automatic operation totally boring. Which is why the only time you might make an FT-8 contact with me is on Field Day when I'm using the club callsign. I simply have no interest in the mode any other time of the year.

WN1MB likes this.
  7. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I see from your QRZ page that you're a fly fisherman (that's one pretty fish, brother!). Though I throw artificial lures, it's mostly open-face spincasting. My only experience fly fishing was as a kid at a shallow local lake with cheap cork poppers or flies for panfish. I've always been in awe of "real" fly fishermen - not just the wading out into moving water, but the hand-tying of flies, knowledge of insect life cycle and fly selection related to that, "reading the water" etc.

Which leads me to this:

One of my nephews is a big time bass fisherman. He does competitive fishing tournaments, has the fancy Skeeter, big-ass motor, muscular truck to tow the boat, depth gauge, fish finder, multitude of rods, reels, spools, tackle boxes, lures. He travels all over creation and fishes more different bodies of water in a year than I'll have fished in my entire life.

With that said...

...there's a correlation with these two vaguely similar and parallel activities. As long as participants at each extreme of the activity can happily persue their respective ventures without crapping on the other guy, then all will be well. Generally the bands, lakes, and rivers are plentiful or otherwise big enough so there's room for all.

And as fishing isn't just about catching fish, ham radio isn't just about making contacts.

8. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I find if I run the amp I can make a quick contact or two and avoid interfering with other hams the rest of the night.

9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Does your club have an automated version of FT8?

10. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have WJST-X installed on my PC, which is what I use on Field Day running the club call, and even the default version is too automated for me. That's why I don't use the mode other than that one event.