No FT8 ROBOTS allowed in ARRL Contests!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA6MHZ, Aug 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It is true. Like when CW began to take over from King Spark, SSB dethroned AM, and hams began doing things like FM and repeaters and packet radio. There's always something out there that's gonna destroy ham radio. And yet...and yet...here we still are. :)

N2EY likes this.
  2. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

That was sarcasm. I don't really care =)

3. W4NNF

I'm so relieved!:p

4. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

yes. i sent him a text via JTAlert and an email.. no response from either... he called me for 97 minutes before finally stopping...

5. W4NNF

You're a big Twitter op, huh? Well, sorry. :p

K4AGO likes this.
  6. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

That would slow contesting down to a snails pace. Then, Participation in said contest would dwindle over time. finally the contest would die.

Thats my opinion of course. My opinion and $4.50 will buy a small cup of coffee at a national coffee chain.
    John
    K4AGO

7. K4AGO

Yep... I agree. I get a warm fuzzy from NOT contesting.
    John
    K4AGO

8. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So what if a robot gets a ham license? Does the FCC requirements specifically say you must be human? A robot can certainly pass all the exams for an easy Extra. Is a licensed robot banned from contests?

A robot could even be it's own antenna!

9. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem is that 'Bots don't have valid mailing addressees.

10. K4AGO

I sort of like the idea of a neural network operated by artificial intelligence program. Skynet mode should be the next thing Dr. Joe Taylor and Steve Franke add to WSJTX. The mode would not need an HK Terminator. The program would just be self initiating by an ARRL email that a contest is scheduled to occur on any given date. But wait... The contest could run 24/7/367.

Think of the possibilities. You could place first in the contest even years after you have gone to that great ham shack in the sky.

All contests could be run solely on the Neural Network; ham radio frequencies could then be dedicated to WinLink. The FCC could be disbanded because ethics would be programmed into the Neural Network.

It boggles (pickles) the mind.

John
    K4AGO