ad: M2Ant-1

No FT8 ROBOTS allowed in ARRL Contests!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA6MHZ, Aug 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for reporting some of the less than desirable aspects of bot on-the-air activities. All that glitters isn't necessarily gold.

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I actually don't want such a rule. My FT8/FT4 UI automation software is rather well-polished, so if I should want to use it in a contest, such rules aren't helpful to my "goals." :)

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

The question isn't automation or not. The question is degree. And that's part of the problem trying to write a rule to defeat it.

How much automation is too much? 10%? 50%? 90%? I would argue that WSJT-X is already over 90% automated (in the UI sense), and most digimode software is well in the high 80% or low 90% range by virtue of macros. How much closer to 100% is so close that it's no longer the human, but rather the machine? If I make a single manual band change during a contest, but automate all other UI tasks, the UI is still less than 100% automated.

A contest sponsor can write a rule such that it restricts operation that is 100% automated (again, in the UI sense, not necessarily the Part 97 sense), but anything short of that is going to sneak by the rule.

The League could write the rule such that it is essentially "must independently click every contact" or "must independently keystroke every contact" or something similar, but doing so is going to run afoul of existing WSJT-X auto-sequencing, which does the station selection for you. The only way to make that kind of must-click rule work is to allow the UI action initiating "CQ" to count as "contemporaneous" or otherwise satisfactory for "must click", and once they go that far, they have already allowed multiple Q's per CQ, as long as the user initiated the CQ run as a whole. Doing that means that as long as the user starts the UI calling CQ, it doesn't matter how many contacts they make per CQ run initiation, and at that point, any such rule has allowed virtually all of the current "robot" implementations in use on the air today.

Like I said earlier, trying to outlaw robots while allowing software like WSJT-X is complicated.

AG6QR likes this.
  4. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No Gort!! No "Klaatu Barada Nikto"!!

5. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah. So that explains it.

6. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

another broken BOT - this guy has been calling my station every 15 seconds for the past 75 minutes!!

upload_2019-8-27_7-38-9.png

MW1CFN likes this.
  7. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems to me that the simple reality is that, if you are going to pariticpate in an activity where the prospect of winning, being on top, etc, is paramount, and all other considerations relegated to unimportance, then you can expect someone, somewhere will be cheating.

My answer is simple: either don't contest, or pick and choose those that appear less prone to bravado, machoism and cheating. They do exist.

WN1MB likes this.
  8. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

SKCC events fit this bill. Fun & laid back... in fact, there is a 2 hour mid-week sprint today/tomorrow beginning at 0000 UTC

WN1MB likes this.
  9. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

See post #156

10. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

It's an outrage!!! Twitter contacts will NOT be counted toward any of the ARRL retail awards, an outrage!