No FT8 ROBOTS allowed in ARRL Contests!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA6MHZ, Aug 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2AU

N2AU Ham Member QRZ Page

KP4SX

Then I take it that FT8 would not be allowed in single mode DX contests. (CW or SSB)

Art-N2AU

2. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think that’s a pretty safe assumption.

3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think there should be an "Iron Op" classification in contests.

Rules for Iron Ops:

1) CW only.

2) No computers of any kind allowed for any purpose during the contest.

3) Single op only - no help from anyone. No spotting nets, no clusters, no databases, no webSDRs, no remotes, etc.

4) Paper logs & dupesheets only. No computer logging of any kind allowed. Log copy sent in, by mail, must be done by hand by the original op, not a copy machine. No extended log submission deadline.

5) Mechanical keying devices only (straight keys, sideswipers, bugs), or simple, non-memory keyers. No keyboards or memory keyers. Mechanical CQ wheel OK.

6) No codereaders of any kind except between-the-ears wetware.

7) Separate tx/rx or single-VFO-with RIT transceiver only. No frequency or band memories.

8) No automatic ATUs or any other, similar automatic devices.

9) System of multipliers based on age and type of rig used. Additional multipliers/bonuses for homebrew, all-hollow-state, partial-hollow-state, use of separate tx/rx that cannot transceive, etc. Complete description of station, with pictures, including rigs, keys, antennas, etc. to be provided with log submission. Multipliers and designation as Iron Op would be at the sole discretion of the Iron Op committee. (Pictures may be digital but prints must be submitted with log)

10) Iron Ops would be indistinguishable during the contest. It would only be in the log submission that Iron Op qualification would be made.

For example, a single-op low-power station in ARRL SS would be A category and use the same exchange as a non-Iron-Op entry. Only in the results would it be revealed who was an Iron Op entry. (Results would show the "regular" score, then the "Iron Op" score with the various multipliers and bonuses).

Why not? Would YOU be willing to do a contest as an Iron Op?

73 de Jim, N2EY

AB9H and N2SR like this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Already have been for the past seven years.

5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In what contests?

6. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think rule 2 makes rule 5 redundant. Most iambic keyers are small digital computers. One of my simple keyers is implemented by a PIC microprocessor; another by an Arduino using an Atmel processor.

Well, I've sent logs in to Straight Key Night more than any other contest, so I guess I'm in. But I'm not that much into keeping score and winning prizes, and I prefer at least a brief conversation over a "599 TU QRZ?" exchange. And truth be told, I usually prefer using an iambic keyer over a straight key. But I'm not a purist; I'll switch things up and try different things occasionally.

7. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

im not a mode snob (well, i kinda am since i respect CW more than any other) -- but I am getting annoyed at JT-mode sprawl - 7.076 for JT65, 7.074 for FT8, 7.048 for FT4, 7.056 for F/H Dx.... their disregard for gentleman agreements on frequency allocations is getting rather annoying

WN1MB likes this.
  8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Interestingly, the official ARRL web site news release today indicates this change of rules applies not just to contests, but to all ARRL awards programs too.

"ARRL has incorporated changes to the rules for all ARRL-sponsored contests and DXCC, prohibiting automated contacts. These changes also apply to the Worked All States (including Triple Play and 5-Band WAS), VHF/UHF Century Club, and Fred Fish, W5FF, Memorial awards. The changes are effective immediately. ... The rules now require that each claimed contact include contemporaneous direct initiation by the operator on both sides of the contact. Initiation of a contact may be either local or remote. "

W3WN and N2EY like this.
  9. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well stated. CW operators like to brag they don't know where their mike is.

10. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Correction: Some CW operators like to brag they don't know where their mike is. And I'm not one of them.

I like to brag that I don't own a microphone.

EI7GL, K1VSK and N2EY like this.