ad: elecraft

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. N9RMA

N9RMA Ham Member QRZ Page

Just finished renewing my general class license via the FCC ULS. At the same time applied for a 1x3 vanity sign which is available. They say no fee for the app. I thought a 10 yr. renewal always cost especially when I checked the boxes for no exceptions on the fees

2. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

There was no fee for a 10 year renewal of an assigned amateur callsign. The most recent fee of $21.40 for a vanity amateur callsign application or renewal was dropped on September 3rd, 2015. The reasoning was that refunds to non successful applicants were costing the FCC more than they were collecting. Enjoy your free gift from the government. You should see the vanity update in the ULS in 18 to 21 days. You can look it up precisely at AE7Q if you care to.

3. N9RMA

N9RMA Ham Member QRZ Page

Glenn Thanks for the good news. Hard to believe hams are getting something for free from the feds. Sure glad I didn't go thru W5YI for my app; they were going to charge me 29.95 for their service and it was easy at the ULS web site to do it myself

KU4X likes this.
  4. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Regards,
    -Bruce

5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Vanity, Vanity. All is Vanity.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

N3AB likes this.
  6. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Or Vanna. Take your pick.

7. AB3TQ

Well Robert, you caught the most typical 18 day vanity cycle - and AE7Q predicts your new callsign for assignment on February 17th. Goodby "K", hello "N".

Look for it in the ULS early that day.

8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried for a few vanity calls and missed out every time. Meanwhile there are a few guys that seal up call after call. Please explain this "18 day cycle".

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  9. AB3TQ

The 18 days (could stretch to 21 days) really no longer has much practical effect on your chance of winning a desirable call sign lottery, and there have been suggestions that a more modern FCC could certainly cut down on that required processing time. I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to happen.

The process was set up when you had to forward funds to the FCC as part of the application process. It also was a time when sending anything to the FCC would have been via snail mail. Today I would imagine that 99.9999% of all communication is electronic. Funds transfer would have been preliminarily electronic as well, but since amateur license fees have now been eliminated - snail mail payment processing delays are no longer a concern.

But in fairness to someone who chooses to submit a snail mail application (with the correct postmark) they would still have an equal opportunity to win a desired callsign as someone who filed electronically at the speed of light.

The only thing you can do is submit (mail or email) your application on the correct date (or sometimes weekend). Timing is critical. Then the FCC follows their well established timeline before final processing. The three day variance comes about if your timeline encounters Holidays and Weekends (only at the beginning and / or the end of the process). And then licenses are actually only processed three days a week. If your official 18th day falls on a non processing day, you will be waiting for the next one, When everything finally lines up (in 18 to 21 days), you finally find out who wins the lottery.

But they follow the same timeline in a case like this where there is ZERO competition. After all, there is one chance in a billion that somebody MIGHT apply for an obscure callsign by snail mail. And every time the FCC waits more than two weeks to see if that might be the case.

"Cycle" might not have been the best way to describe this crazy process. What word might you have used?

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not fond of W5YI, because years ago, they tried to claim their "renewal" fee was REQUIRED by the FCC, rather than into their own coffers. (I was able to renew $0.00 all by mine lonesome at ULS.) Yep, W5YI is a "service," just like some ladies of the evening.