NMO mount installed into a bee sting antenna on rear of car roof

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KE8FWJ, Sep 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE8FWJ

KE8FWJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Have a 15 VW Jetta, has a bee sting antenna used for stereo FM 88-108MHz. The bee sting antenna is located on top roof centrally located at the back nearest rear window. With the bee sting antenna removed, will installing a NMO mount to support the Larsen dual bander be sturdy enough?

Anyone who has done so have any opinions? Will be much appreciated, thanks.

Victor :)

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably, but why not just drill a hole in the trunk lid?

3. KE8FWJ

Alan, thank you for your time. The roof is part of the structure of the car (biggest surface area et al), no moving parts involved and the hole is already factory supplied there. Over and above these minor points, wouldn't a roof install out perform a trunk lid install? The trunk lid is below the roofline by approx 2ft, thusly, therefore & ergo, blocked by the cabin towards the front. Besides the repetitive open and closing of the trunk would rattle the whole install apart. Also hoping to source a NMO mount that uses a proper run of low loss coax and not the standard RG-58U, that stuff scares me.
    Sadly, I'm stuck with this Jetta, apparently stick shifts don't exist here in the USA. Otherwise woulda had a Ridgeline pick up sporting a hefty Scorpion (and a Larsen and a 108" whip) long ago ;)

4. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Huh? RG-58 has been used for over half a century in every type of installation and rig. What is dangerous?

Even at UHF the losses for short lengths in a mobile installation are minimal.

Again, scary?

5. K0BG

The truth is, very few amateurs have the equipment to "test" the difference in signal strength, much less pattern analysis between the placements mentioned. This said, if you're into your trunk every day, perhaps you might have a point. And, some late models have very shallow trunk lids, which allow the whip to touch the top and/or glass when opening. If that's the case, use an angle bracket, and mount it in a hood seam.

6. KE8FWJ

Common sense would indicate to rather install on the roof than the trunk lid. No real "test" equipment required to make THAT decision. Cannot think any reason the trunk install would better perform than the roof install in TX and/or/with RX. Just gotta find a way to strengthen the area where the NMO mount fastens to the roof. I'm so surprised I'm the ONLY Jetta owner in the USA that has thought of it, amazing indeed. It's kinda scary and disconcerting somehow :)

Next is where to find an NMO mount with 20ft low loss cable. Something LMR perhaps.

7. K0BG

I will agree it is best to install in the center of the roof. But, there are other considerations.

Most everyone garage their vehicles. Most garage doors are 7 foot high, 'Overhead' type, with multiple panels. It is possible to catch the whip of a roof mounted antenna within the hinge creases. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what can happen.

And, as I said, unless you have laboratory-full of expensive equipment, you'll never be able to tell the real-world difference between roof and trunk lid mounting.

8. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Several places have NMO with attached LMR195 of various lengths. Here is a link to that type mount from Tessco:

https://www.tessco.com/product/332348

KB0MNM likes this.
  9. KE8FWJ

Thank you for the Tessco link.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  10. N4MTB

N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a VW Toureg and had the same idea, remove the stinger and install an NMO. I'd like to hear if you try it.
    Good Luck and Have fun.