ad: AbAuRe-1

nice dual-band horizontal mobile antenna

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KK4YWN, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

I picked up an e-factor dual-band horizontal antenna two months ago, and finally got it mounted on the car a couple weeks ago. I was not satisfied with it at first. Everyone was giving me 5/9 reports but I couldn't hear anything but noise.

Turns out the shield was making an intermittent connection (the coax did not come with the antenna). I fixed that and tried a couple of repeaters: some degradation on some repeaters and some enhancement on others. Cool. No need to run two antennas.

This morning I tried beaconing on my long commute to work (2.5hrs) and immediately got a cw response... but the sender immediately got many other responses. So I listened to the cw pile-up I created on 144.200 for about an hour while all those stations worked on another.

I like the antenna.

2. KK4YWN

ive made a couple of fone contacts on the antenna. it does a fine fine job. 50w = 50 miles. i may stack a second next month.

i have a 160w brick on my workbench. it needs open-relay surgery. hopefully i'll get that taken care of this weekend. my commute is becoming more and more exciting as i make upgrades to my mobile.

3. KK4YWN

best contact: 140 miles w/ 50w PEP. the other station was a big gun. i'm amazed he heard me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.