ad: hrd-2

NH7RO's Antenna Cat, Guido now a Silent Paw

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by NH7RO, Jun 23, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Rosco "Guido" Bouli-Cervini, also known and lovingly referred to as "Antenna Cat" by his owner, Jeff, NH7RO died June 9th near his home in Rockport, Texas. He is believed to have been the victim of a hit-and-run driver and the tragedy occurred no more than 50 yards from his home on a fairly quiet dead-end street.

Whenever Jeff, NH7RO was outside working on one antenna project or another, Antenna Cat was always there to supervise, chase wires or lend a helping paw. Originally a semi-feral cat, Guido adopted Jeff and his XYL when they were living near Na'alehu, Hawaii in early 2004. In 2006 the three of them moved to Volcano, Hawaii and it was there that Guido soon became known as Antenna Cat.

Jeff started home-brewing wire and fiberglass Moxons, open-wire feed lines, a Cobweb and rotatable dipoles for the HF bands shortly after upgrading his ham license. He then had a new and larger backyard in the Volcano rain forest and Guido was always fascinated by these projects that began there.

Here are a few photos of Guido, Antenna Cat back in his heyday before becoming a Silent Paw at the age of 15 (guesstimate as he was a young cat when he adopted Jeff and his family in 2004).

[​IMG]
    Supervising from his log, Volcano, Hawaii, 2012

[​IMG]
    Watching the wire, Volcano QTH

[​IMG]
    Guarding Jeff's first small transmitting loop antenna, Rockport, Texas, 2015

[​IMG]
    Antenna Cat measuring Heliax, Rockport, Texas, 2016

KI7FIL likes this.
  2. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So long good cat! I guess mobile operations didn't agree with him.

3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Sorry to hear of your loss Jeff.

I remember the cat well during many of our antenna discussions in the past.

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Jeff,
    As someone who lost TWO feline friends simultaneously and under suspicious circumstances, I can relate to your loss. I lost Minnie and Winnie last October:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Minnie came to me as a stray about 10 years ago, and Winnie came to me as a kitten about 6 years ago.

5. NH7RO

Thanks, Charles; Yeah, he was simply a great cat the entire 12 years he was with us. He lived in an abandoned car on our landlord's property a couple of years before he adopted us. Although several other strays came around our place that we fed and watered Guido was the only cat that stuck around. He had a very good life from that time on and definitely got a bit spoiled (he and his two "step-brothers" that later adopted us were all Certified Leisure Cats despite their occasional rat catching work and help with antennas.

He was my best friend, bar none.

Here he was cleverly indicating the "high Q" of my loop element by forming the letter Q with his tail juxtaposed against the circle:

[​IMG]

Sometimes he got so tuckered out chasing me and my antenna projects around that he just had to rest a spell:

[​IMG]
    That was his favorite spot in our new condo backyard where we coincidentally moved into one year ago today---so sad that he and his "brother" Guffino didn't make it before departing this world all too soon; Guffino had to be put down last December after having a couple of strokes/congestive heart failure and he was also Guido's constant outdoor companion. See pic below of the Sunset Brothers:

[​IMG]

We are now down to one cat, Garibaldi who was diagnosed with ear cancer over two years ago. I suppose it won't be much longer before all three are reunited in perpetual rest.

We sure get attached to these critters and life is never going to be the same without them.

Thanks again for your condolences.

Before I go I have to also remark that today I learned of two other hams departure from this world as I perused the Silent Keys page in my latest QST; K6MYM, Myrna Staal (XYL of Mike, K6MYC, the owner of M2 Antennas) and also an old friend from my Hawaii days, Corky Kirk, W6ORS of Hilo. I don't know if Corky had any family left I send my condolences to all that knew him and Myrna nonetheless. He often stopped in and ate at the restaurant I worked in when we lived in Volcano and always enjoyed discussing our favorite bands and antennas
    we used.

73, Jeff

KI7FIL and KC8VWM like this.
  6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to hear that. I can't use my HF amp anymore because the top gets occupied by cats when I try...

IMG_9276_1.jpg

Cleo and Sasha, both gone now, Sasha (left) lived to 17, Cleo almost to 19. They were sisters I adopted together back in San Diego. Here they are denying me the ability to sit down and operate HF! Sasha was very possessive of me and never accepted my wife when I remarried!

I have 3 now, a 12 YO female (Bob), and a 1.5 (Elliot) and 2.5 (Edgar) year old males who think wrestling in our bed at 5am is a good way to get us up. Edgar is a jet black cat that we rescued from the shelter, the smartest and most affectionate cat I can remember ever having. He can open my screen slider, remove screens from windows...

Steve
    KV6O

KB4QAA, WA7PRC and NH7RO like this.
  7. NH7RO

Bryan; Very sorry to learn of your two losses, too---really sweet-looking cats you had there.

I have always been an animal lover and I cringe every time I see a road kill or learn of some hideous demise such as yours. I always hope that however they went that they didn't have to endure lots of pain or suffer long.

We have lots of deer, opossum and turtles in our neighborhood/surrounding area and I am always ready to slam on the brakes for them when they dart into the road or pull over to rescue the occasional wandering turtle, too. Last year I managed to save 21 turtles (including a mother and one of her little ones closely following) from imminent roadkill but sometimes the traffic gets to some before I can, sadly enough.

73, Jeff

WA7PRC likes this.
  8. NH7RO

Great shot, Steve of Cleo and Sasha and a wonderful story about them---I can seriously relate! Again, I am also saddened to learn that they are also no longer among us.

I will have to pass on a link to some of my non-ham but seriously cat loving friends of this thread soon.

73, Jeff

WA7PRC likes this.
  9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks. When Winnie came into the house, Minnie hissed a lot. Then, they became friends. Then, Minnie was Winnie's protector and playmate. I heard that once, a dawg went after Winnie, and Minnie chased the dawg away. Sometimes, Minnie would lay down and taunt Winnie. Then, Winnie would cock her head and then pounce on Minnie. They'd roll around a bit and then they'd chase after each other. I called this "Kitty Kombat" -- it was very entertaining. :D;):p

10. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

20160623_191442.jpg

This is Elliott (1 1/2 YO Maine Coon) about 45 min ago outside my house in the Rockies. He's my Mountain Lion.

Know that you gave an animal a home that he was loved in for many years. I am sad when they go, but we get to enjoy their company when they are here for us, and us for them.

Steve
    KV6O