ad: QSKLLC-1

Next to airport

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KK4VGT, Jan 16, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KK4VGT

KK4VGT Ham Member QRZ Page

Wife and I are thinking about moving 1 mile from a mid size airport. Has commercial air traffic and AF reserve aircraft. Very low traffic at night.
    How will this effect HF cw and SSB phone. Any info will help. 73's KK4VGT.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If you put up a 200 foot tower without permits, you'll have some 'splainin' to do :D:D

Barring that, you should have no issues.

Dave
    W7UUU

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree, no issues on HF at all other than a mandated tower height limit and tower lighting requirements -- which only apply if you install a tower.

4. KH6AQ

KH6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

At less than 5000 ft. from a runway tower height is limited to less than 200 ft with the tower height restriction being 25:1. For example, 1500' from a runway the tower is limited to 60 ft.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    N0TZU likes this.
  5. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've operated close enough to HNL where the audible noise from jet engines was an issue.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

High Power Radar may have some affect. Normally at the sweep rate.

7. KK4VGT

KK4VGT Ham Member QRZ Page

Lol. Love your comment. 73s

8. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Will not even have to be near that high around an airport in controlled airspace. RF issue no, any tower can be a problem that close.

9. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

IIRC, antennas near an airport are covered by a question in the General Class pool.

Here’s what the FAA part actually states, keeping in mind an antenna tower is “a construction or alteration:”

Any construction or alteration that exceeds an imaginary surface extending outward and upward at any of the following slopes:

(1) 100 to 1 for a horizontal distance of 20,000 ft. from the nearest point of the nearest runway of each airport described in paragraph (d) of this section with its longest runway more than 3,200 ft. in actual length, excluding heliports.
    (2) 50 to 1 for a horizontal distance of 10,000 ft. from the nearest point of the nearest runway of each airport described in paragraph (d) of this section with its longest runway no more than 3,200 ft. in actual length, excluding heliports.
    (3) 25 to 1 for a horizontal distance of 5,000 ft. from the nearest point of the nearest landing and takeoff area of each heliport described in paragraph (d) of this section.

In addition to the airport which you mention, look at a sectional aeronautical chart for your area. There may be registered Helicopter landing places closer to your location than the airport which you mention.

Otherwise, with the exception of one time when a omnidirectional beacon threw a spur on a frequency in 160, I haven't had any problems on HF or VHF from any of the landing areas near where I have resided down through the years.

10. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm about 30 seconds or 1 3/4 miles from the end of 10C / 28C out of / into ORD. BUSY!

Outbound aircraft under full power will be noisy! Outbound cargo ops are primarily at night; cooler air increases the lifting capability!

MF/ HF problem on my TransOceanic is mainly noise from power lines & our LED bulbs (?)

NO problems of 2 meters or 70 cm.

ORD makes interesting monitoring of the VHF & UHF AM aircraft bands. Plus UHF "business" bands.

A little searching will yield a complete list of "civilian" aircraft frequencies for your local airport.

AG6QR likes this.