Next Rig?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K1JWJ, Oct 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
  1. K3EY

K3EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve doesn't like the FT450D. Watch his advice steer away to Kenwood or TenTec several times.

Personally I wouldn't own TT and for the last 20 years had nothing but trouble with Kenwoods
    and in fact just sent another NEW one in for exchange.

Given my personal experience I wouldn't own anything except Icom or Yeasu but and of course YMMV.

I never ask others what radio to buy. Like asking what kind of wife I should have.

2. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

350', qualifies as long. I have my 135' dipole at 40', give or take (droops a lot in the middle, might have to trim to 130') and it always wins... on 80m. Where the 6BTV is at best -6dB gain (and probably worse due to the radials I used, 50 30' radials on/in the dirt).

Ever thought of shortening it? Maybe picking 260'. Endfed for 160, but should still load on the rest of the bands. Minimal ground required, but I still think something akin to GND is required. Even on other lengths, probably need some sort of RF ground for this--what do you have?

WZ7U likes this.
  3. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

it is grounded to my 6btv's radial field which is about 60 radials so I have that covered. The last thing I want to do is put a remote tuner at the antenna feedpoint. It may improve my transmit by reducing line loss but it won't improve my receive which is what I'm really looking for.

4. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

hamfest October 21. get there way early, see what's on the tailgate

5. KB1CKT

Gotcha. Well, as long as "quiet" means "SNR improvement" then I think it's good antenna. Maybe not for transmit, but for RX it's a good addition. I need to look into low(er) noise RX antennas, particularly for 80m, if I plan to stick around there this winter. Will probably do a loop, but just haven't gotten around to it yet (no pun intended).

6. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm certainly surprised that the G5RV/ZS6BKW allows you to have QSO with other continents in ssb. And it seems to me that even a simple tribander will give you much more than the most expensive radio.
    But I would not change 735 to another radio just because it's new. This is a great radio (unless there is a problem with the capacitors) and the difference in price is much greater than the difference in efficiency, even compared with 7300.

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not easy these days, but just a few years back I was working OZ easily with my G5RV Junior and 100 Watts.

8. KB1CKT

I used to work from NH into the UK (and I think farther) using a G5RV on ... 17m! SSB no less.

Everything works, when everything lines up just right.

9. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha! It is not difficult to make QSO through a large salt puddle. How many QSO do you have with Eastern Europe?

10. KB1CKT

Been a while since I worked DX. I wound up dropping the G5RV down (after it blew down) and it was never the same again--rotated 90 degree, lowered from 40' to 10', and removed all extra coax. No more 17m, and no more DX.