Next Rig?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K1JWJ, Oct 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. K1JWJ

K1JWJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have been licensed two years and have most recently been using an IC-735. I only do SSB and digital modes. The 735 seems to work just fine (I get excellent reports in both modes).
    But, I have an itch I’d like to scratch: .... A new (likely, used) radio.

So, the always asked question: What To Buy?

Me:

Simplicity is Better
    No need ever for HP amplifier
    Not a builder or repair type
    200 click menu options drive me nuts!
    DSP probably smart
    I call CQ, answer CQ, hit a few Nets
    The thrill for me is a new contact (especially DX) with lightbulb wattage (the mystery of it all)
    Reliability is a treasure
    Love plug and play things
    Will read manual (but much complexity is unhealthy)
    Likely I do not need all the bells and whistles of $5k+ radios
    Shack only - no mobile use and backpacking I don’t do

Had a FT-450AT once, but had to sell all gear due to emergency, and have only been back for a few months.

Looking for ideas..........
    And, appreciative of all.

Jeff
    K1JWJ

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you don't mind "used," a Ten Tec Jupiter does all that.

It has one "menu," which you almost never need to use, but if you do, every instruction is printed on the screen in plain English...no having to remember F12 is this and M3 is that, etc.

Pretty high performance rig and will outperform the IC-735 and the FT-450.

I've never heard of one "breaking," yet, although that's eventually inevitable as with everything. But it's mid-sized (not tiny, not large) and reliable.

3. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

My next rig? Yours. As soon as you leave that puppy is mine.

W4IOA likes this.
  4. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

What are your antennas? When I was a beginner, I changed the radios, but today I know that I had to change the antennas...

WZ7U likes this.
  5. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Anything with lots of knobs and buttons. No computer crap.

6. K1JWJ

I understand. I am currently using a G5RV/ZS6BKW (with a MFJ 949E tuner) and am quite satisfied with its performance. Property size and constraints limit me a bit, so I am not quite sure what I could go to that would serve my needs better. For the bands I work, it does the job (many DX into eastern and western Europe, Asia and S. America).
    I fully understand the critical importance of the antenna in any system. So, I am welcome to any suggestions considering my property and $$$ limitations.

7. K1JWJ

Nope! I’ll be keeping the 735, whatever I add. :)

8. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I still think my 6BTV serves me well. I don't think I've ever heard anyone on 40m "louder" on my 135' dipole than on my ground mounted vertical -- if the vertical was raised maybe it'd do better. Will toss that out there, perhaps add a vertical to the setup. Maybe a ground mounted 40m, and then, because the upper bands are easier, a 20m vertical up on the roof.

I have my doubts that an outboard DSP speaker is as good as internal, but I wonder if that plus an older non-DSP rig might come "close enough". An older rig with decent filters can still be a decent performer.

9. W1XWX

W1XWX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Flex 3000 purchased used and certified directly from Flex radio--- about $900 has built in tuner works digital modes without needing any other soundcard device. Running KE9NS version of PowerSDR software. Has 90 day warranty from Flex radio.

KE9NS software will save all nets and or frequencies and show them on the screen. Also has 11,000 shortwave stations in a built-in database that can be shown on screen--- shows DX Cluster on the screen, shows solar data on the screen and dozens of other useful features. 73

P.S.,,,,,Check out his free software for the Flex 1500, 3000, and 5000 here:
    http://ke9ns.com/flexpage.html

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  10. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

glad it's not just me... I just installed a 350' long wire that ranges in height from 20 - 60'. I know it's not ideal but you'd think it would outperform my 6btv. It doesnt. The ONLY way it 'wins' is that it is quieter... but signals are weaker and it doesnt transmit as well as my 6btv. (i'm using PSKReporter and Reversebeacon.net for comping the antennas)

as for new rig - I suggest the IC-7300 - it is the easiest rig i've ever used, especially for digital modes.

WZ7U likes this.