Next paddle

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KB1CKT, Oct 1, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I still have some interest in putting a mobile station into my car--not for while driving, but for when I'm someplace. I have a Bencher BY1 paddle which I like, and I think I'd like to emulate; but in something that might take abuse better (as it will get tossed around a bit). I like my BY1 enough that I would like to buy another, but... why not try something else?

I am thinking American Morse Porta Paddle II, with the base.

I have an Arizona Scorpions paddle, but I find it too fragile & light for the car. Also the arms just have too much play to "feel good".

2. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you seen the Palm Mini? http://www.palm-radio.de/english/empaddle.html

Although not apparent when viewing the web site, the paddles retract back into the housing for storage. In this configuration you could throw it in the glove box without worry.

Al

3. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've owned the Porta Paddle II for a few years, and I've used a friend's Palm Mini. They're both good portable paddles. The Palm mini is a bit better protected during transit, because all of the moving parts retract into its case. It has a fairly "soft" feel, because it's made of somewhat flexible materials. In contrast, the Porta Paddle is very sturdy, inflexible aluminum. I've thrown mine in a suitcase many times for airline travel with no ill effects whatsoever. It lacks the protection of the Palm Mini paddle, but it's sturdy enough not to need it, given reasonable care. Both are very lightweight, and both need some sort of mounting or base (or else hold it in one hand while operating with the other). The base which AME sells for use with the Porta Paddle is appropriately sturdy and heavy to allow one-handed sending with the paddles resting on a desk or picnic table.

4. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I forgot about the Palm Mini. I've thought about getting that for portable, as it'd stick to the '817 quite nicely. But I'm not sure where I'd use it in the car. Might just have to save up for both!