ad: Sussex-1

News Release December 20, 2017: Greene County Fairgrounds/Expo Center Building Expansion

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8KSU, Dec 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hamvention IS DARA.

Can't do this event without DARA.

DARA is Dayton-based.

KY5U and WA8FOZ like this.
  2. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Chip, and congratulations on your patent work.

My quoted post never mentioned DARA. Hamvention will never be duplicated. As I said, the trip to Xenia is planned for decades to come. As long as they continue to have it, and my high risk job don't kill me. The intent of my post was to introduce a new, or rather a second, big hamfest idea. After all, by reading the various ideas on the subject, there appears to be a demand. True enough, folks from the east coast may not care to make the OK trip, for the same reasons plenty of hams from west of the big muddy will not travel to OH.

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Roger:) Sorry for the confusion.

Hamvention is actually growing(again), despite the ham age demographics working against it. To me that says that Hamvention is tapping into a large segment of younger, mostly Tech hams throughout the midwest.

Older hams, like myself, are comfortable with what we already know. Starting something new is always an issue. I haven't been to Orlando ,but do hear great things about it, yet it --as I have been told-- does have an older demographic, which, unfortunately will not be sustainable, say, 5 years from now.
    Chip W1YW

NK9Y likes this.
  4. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip,
    I agree will all you are saying, with one proviso. Another five, or ten, or 15 years will bring about a whole new group of pensioners for Orlando. Just not me. Would rather retire in the desert with the scorpions, and rattlesnakes. hihi

And best wishes for 2018
    de Chet NK9Y

W1YW likes this.
  5. K8JTD

K8JTD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Xenia Police Chief is not a ham. Better check your source of information. The Greene County Sheriff now has his license.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the correction.

7. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Orlando is very nice. I'm not sure where you are coming from but as someone who has been to Dayton a dozen times in the last 30 years I can honestly say that Orlando is a very nice experience by comparison. I have not been to Xenia but from what I heard from a few friends who did go, they said it was pretty bad, knee deep mud in the tailgate areas, no AC in the buildings, and dirty bathrooms. They all said they won't go back. In all of the years I attended Hamvention, I can only remember one time it didn't rain at Dayton, only one. Ohio is crappy, no decent hotels, crummy restaraunts, no place to park, and the airport is a long way from Xenia.

Orlando is a pleasure by comparison.

W4KVW likes this.
  8. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

You say Orlando is a pleasure "by comparison", yet you readily admit you've never been to Xenia. One of us is confused. My experience of actually being there last year, was different than your friends relayed to you. BTW; I'm not counting Dayton in the comparison, it is now a dead horse, so why keep sinking your spurs into it?

9. W5JON

W5JON Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Confused? Let me explain, there are some of us that when a "few friends" tell us that they had a bad experience, we take there word for it. Also it not like his "few friends" are the only ones that have expressed the same OPINION. But it seems that if you do not express a favorable OPINION about your experience at Xenia your OPINION is ridiculed.
    I am sure the organizes at DARA would want to hear how Hamvention fell short, rather then everything was wonderful from the "cheer leaders".
    Hoping and wishing that it does not rain is NOT a plan for the mud in the flea market, hoping and wishing that it NOT a steamy hot day is not a plan for ventilating the hot tents with fans.
    And BTW, NO ONE is criticizing the volunteers, they only expressing their OPINION of THEIR EXPERIENCE or relaying the experience of their friends who attended XENIA.
    So I guess it boils down to you have your OPINION, and they have theirs.

KY5U likes this.
  10. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's constructive criticism and I doubt that DARA is being taken aback by the comments.

11. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been to Orlando when it was pouring rain and when it was hot and I got sunburned and one year it was so cold that it snowed but I've always felt that the facility is very good and ORC has run the hamfest well. I've never been to the Dayton/Xenia hamfest. I've contemplated it but it's a very long drive to and back from Tampa Bay, FL now that I'm in my 60's.

12. N8MW

N8MW Ham Member QRZ Page

Facts mean more than opinions. Facts about Xenia vx Orlando:(from personal experience)

1. Orlando roads make it much more accessible
    2. Orlando has a much bigger area for flea marketers, and doesn't restrict size of spaces
    3. Xenia has more indoor space, but no AC
    4. Orlando has many more camping sites
    5. Both venues are vulnerable to weather, but Orlando has sand, Xenia has mud
    6. Xenia is more expensive for admission and camping
    7. Orlando has many more visitor facilities for lodging and eating, and more attractions for non-hams
    8. Xenia restricts campers from leaving during the event, Orlando does not
    9. Xenia is more centrally located

Make your decision based on facts, not opinions.

13. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your input sir, however the clarification I had hoped for was from a totally different callsign, as per my quote. Still you have not convinced me to ever go back to FL. Two strikes are enough for me, a third will never happen. However since your friends all had problems with mud at Xenia, I will bring appropriate attire, just in case it happens this year, or next. At the end of the day, you nailed it, I have my opinion, and "they" have theirs. Guess who's opinion I'm going to run with?

14. K8JTD

K8JTD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Hamvention General Chair and all of the Hamvention Committee members take both positive and negative criticism into consideration. But lets remember that we are only in year 2 of a new venue. After one year the Greene County Commission has made a major investment into the Greene County Fairgrounds and Expo Center. Not all of the issues can be worked out in just one year. But with the current lack of venues in the Greater Dayton area and no Investors showing interest in investing in building a new convention center, the County Commission is taking the opportunity to expand and work on upgrades to their facility. Besides building a new structure, they are also going to hire an individual to work fulltime at booking the Expo Center for much larger events then have been held in the past. With more major events being held on the grounds will result in further improvements to the buildings. DARA, Hamvention and the Elected Officials of Greene County are committed to making this a long term home for the Dayton Hamvention, and hopefully many other major events.

One other thing that needs to be addresses. I have read that DARA is only in this for the money. We make several contributions back into Amateur Radio, from supporting other Hamfests, sponsors for major DX Expeditions, Major sponsor for the 2018 World Radio Championship. We make two substantial contributions to ARRL for the Second Century Fund and probably our most important contribution is Scholarships both to ARRL and Local Scholarships for our youth.

So when you attend Hamvention each year, you are supporting our efforts to give back and support the Amateur Radio Community.

NK9Y, WA8FOZ and W0PV like this.
  15. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

The country with the most hams and Xenia is the best we can do for a national hamfest? DARA and the volunteers are trying hard to male this work.

messegelaende.jpg