ad: TinyPaddle-1

News Release December 20, 2017: Greene County Fairgrounds/Expo Center Building Expansion

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8KSU, Dec 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Forget renting, I want to OWN one!

N0LOH likes this.
  2. NW2M

NW2M XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I will be there on the 9th! 73, Al

3. W8RXX

W8RXX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yuma, AZ in February is a dry WARM Hamfest with $25,000 of Grand prizes... just a saying...

KA4DPO likes this.
  4. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Florida?? Been there twice, and discovered one thing. It is all hype. Ohio, on the other hand, is an enjoyable trip. Their "traffic issues" are much less of a pain than tourist trap FL. Can't wait for the return trip to Xenia. Walked away from some neat stuff last time, that won't happen again.

5. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be a GREAT place to be in February. Air fare is quite reasonable, compared to Florida. So my plan for 2018 is Yuma, AND Xenia. The only problem is getting all the fun toys back home. Perhaps Yuma for spotting goodies, and driving to Xenia for the purchases, and hauling them back in the ole Dodge Ram.

6. N5DUX

N5DUX Ham Member QRZ Page

Those proposing Hamcation and other winter-time hamfests, while nice, are not geographically centralized for so many hams. Dayton grew to prominence because it was doable to drive from so many major metropolitan areas.
    As population centers spread west (with advent/growth of A/C) Dayton remained popular because we hams are creatures of habit. For folks in the upper midwest to drive to Orlando, Yuma/Quartz, or anywhere on the West Coast - while providing a nice climate - just isn't feasible with snow/ice at northern latitudes. Summer time is also easier to travel if you have a family in tow because the kids are out of school. Dad taking a roadtrip alone in the winter/school year to attend a hamfest my be too difficult financially. (Let alone use up vacation time when you may rather spend it with the family.)

There's a reason the more popular hamfest are in the summertime: it's easier to get to travel that time of the year.
    There's a reason Hamcation is in February, that's when the snowbirds are there.
    There's a reason desert hamfests are in the winter, it's pleasant in the desert during that time of the year.

Geography though is the major reason why Dayton continues to have it's attraction - that and tradition.
    I highly doubt the big hamfest will ever move to Vegas or some other non-midwestern city as others have suggested. It's too far. Dayton is doable for the vast majority of hams. Beyond that, each region seems to have it's big hamfests. (More than one have claimed to be "2nd largest behind Dayton" - at least in conversation)

The traffic, the mud, the lack of A/C, the port-a-potties --- these are part of those inevitable growing pains everyone knew would pop up. Because Hara was all under (essentially) one air-conditioned roof - rain and heat were not major issues. In Xenia, big metal boxes with no air flow is a fundamental problem for the indoor vendors. Mud is an issue for the outdoor vendors - but rain has always been a threat for the flea market. Traffic, however, affects everyone.
    As I said back on Page 1, I think these will all be dealt with in time as solutions are created and evolve. They must be smoothed out or the masses will not attend and only attend regional hamfests.

WA8FOZ likes this.
  7. W8RXX

W8RXX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hamcation, been there the last three years. It is now the second largest hamfest and was great for me. This year for the eclipse we tried Huntsville, AL the third largest hamfest. Huntsville is all indoors, new vendors and flea market. They all offer something different... MERRY CHRISTMAS!

8. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

9. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[QUOTE="VE3ES, post: 4495319, member:

Was this the only option available...?[/QUOTE]

Basically, yes. Hara was gone as an option. It Has been stripped and they are attempting to sell the property.

The Greene County fairgrounds turned out to be the best available venue in the area. Hamvention requires a sizable combination of facilities not otherwise to be found within 100 miles of Dayton and the volunteers required to run it. This has been hashed out again and again in this forum.

I had a good time and look forward to the next one.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  10. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep. Some folks always seek the half empty glass.

11. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If it's half filled with a very good Scotch, it's still a good glass.

Half filled with Pepto Bismal, not so great.

WA8FOZ likes this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

This should clarify the situation---

Other ham gatherings are EVENTS...

HAMVENTION is a DESTINATION.

VE3ES and WA8FOZ like this.
  13. N8SA

N8SA Ham Member QRZ Page

I personally think they committee did a wonderful job in the short time frame they had to work on this. I already sent in my reservation to camp at the Fairgrounds. for 2018. Im looking forward to it. And I will bring my farmer boots for the mud. We had it back in the camping spots too but they had a tractor and winch that pulled us out on Sunday afternoon. I remember waking on Friday morning with 4 inches of snow on the ground back when it was still in April. THOSE WERE THE BAD OLD DAYS! If they keep shutting down the outgoing traffic on Saturday morning and allowing two lanes in it will improve the traffic. The mud.......it is a FAIRGROUND! They have mud, they dont and cant afford AC in uninsulated buildings. We are only there on weekend a year and we get what we can. They are already improving the fairground for this year with new construction and an extra building to use. That is more than HARA ever did for us in 40 years. IMHO

WA8FOZ likes this.
  14. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is indeed some truth in the geographic aspect of a central midwest location and late spring/ early summer timing, although mostly the timing was weather related-- For decades, Dayton was end of April - back in the mid 1980's when I started to attend, it was unpredictable / crap weather and school was not out yet for the summer. It was moved to mid May to try for better weather. School still doesnt get out for many students til end of may or early june.

Agree Most of the Ham love affair with Dayton is simply locked in some long standing tradition and as a result, a whole lot of inertia and unwillingness to change. Arguably, there may also be a little greed as it's a good money maker for DARA and so they want to hang on to the event for financial reasons.

This is good news for DARA -- hams kept coming through the years - hams put up with moldy and musty broken down falling ceiling tiles, broken A/C, backed up toilets, floating turds in the parking lots, and the unpredictable weather - tornado, snow, heat, hail for at least a decade - because there's nothing thats being done any better and so the bar is set pretty low. Xenia was an upgrade -but not without some significant issues that need to be addressed. Sure, hams can still put up with the parking, the traffic, the mudfest, the hot buildings etc. But why settle ....

Thinking about other major hobby meets, events, conference, conventions, etc, they all tend to choose a very viable "central "location but those are NOT-Dayton. Still they are close to population centers and attract tens of thousands of hobbyists. Central location is a relative term as population masses have shifted. With the advent of cheap airfare (something that happened long after hamvention was first established) makes for many many alternative and low cost locations. Indianapolis,IN, Columbus OH, ST Louis, MO, Cincinnati, OH, Louisville, KY, Kansas City, MO, Chicago, IL, Detroit, MI, Atlanta GA, Nashville or Memphis TN -- all very very viable locations to "handle" the hamvention crowd and a reasonable day's drive from all the major population centers on the east half of the USA.

Looking at a population map of hams, just about any 4-land, 8-land or 9-land location would certainly work.

Not that Dayton will move but keep an eye out for the new hamfests to displace the old ones.... like FT-8 displacing JT65...it wont happen till suddenly it's happened.

15. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I am pleased with Xenia, and plan to attend as long as the powers that be offer it to us. That being said, and reading all those who are interested in a more central location. Kansas City is certainly central, but traffic, in my opinion, would be a HUGE step backwards. And the few arenas that may be contemplated, though nice, have horrible parking issues. Even worse than in Ohio, either place.

If a new, or second big fest, is deemed the way to go, my vote is for Oklahoma City. Those highways are built for sheer volume. And those fair grounds are quite close to a fine airport. Those who have never been to the facility will stand slack jawed at the numerous under cover, and climate controlled arenas, on the place. Then image a vast amount of on site parking spaces, much of it paved. The parking on grass, is well drained, with gravel lanes set up in grid fashion. I have been there during flooding rain, and pulling a 24 foot, and loaded horse trailer, never got stuck.

High end sleeping, and dining, all within 10 minutes. Or the cheaper mom, and pop, arrangements. Museums, and fine art are plentiful for the whole family. Just yet another opinion.