ad: elecraft

News Release December 20, 2017: Greene County Fairgrounds/Expo Center Building Expansion

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8KSU, Dec 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K8KSU

K8KSU Ham Member QRZ Page

News Release December 20, 2017

Greene County Fairgrounds/Expo Center Building Expansion

We are pleased to announce The Greene County Commissioners and the Greene County Fair Board have approved the construction of a new building at the Fairground/Expo Center.

Greene County officials have decided to move forward with construction of a new building as it will continue to expand their presence in the region as a world class Exposition Center!

Hamvention certainly benefits from the decision to expand the Expo Center footprint. Construction is planned to be completed ahead of Hamvention 2018 and will be used for the event.

Additionally, another building on the property previously known as Fairgrounds Furniture, is being vacated and will be available for use by Hamvention 2018.

More details regarding the building sizes will be forthcoming but Hamvention is told the floor space added will cover an area larger than the tents Hamvention used in 2017.

Although this decision was made to expand opportunities at the Expo Center, Hamvention is grateful for the support of Greene County, Xenia Township, and the city of Xenia.

Ron Cramer, General Chair, Hamvention
    Jack Gerbs, Asst. Gen. Chair, Hamvention
    Michael Kalter, CFO/Official Spokesperson, Hamvention

For any questions, please contact Michael Kalter at michael@michaelkalter.com

Mark Your Calendars: W8CI & K3LR will be Live on DX Engineering's Facebook page December 28th at 5pm EST

NW2M, K9ASE, KD2LMR and 1 other person like this.
  2. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Please...just fix the mud bowl flea market....a good flea market is what draws the crowds and the key to keeping the Hamvention alive in Ohio.
    Put the vendors on the sloping horse track. Keep the infield for foot traffic only ( unless paved and drained)...

K3GM, K2HAT, NA2AA and 4 others like this.
  3. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

4. VE3ES

VE3ES Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't 'done' the flea market in years. At Hara, the asphalt was falling apart which made it a hazard to walk on. At Xenia, some rain and it turns into a mud bath. Not good either way. The commercial stuff, the new stuff, the exhibits is what keeps me going each year.

Too bad that there wasn't an announcement that a fix for the mud bath was in the works. Sorry, but Hara needed a coat of paint in the buildings and a new layer of asphalt in the flea market.

Was this the only option available...?

WA8FOZ and K9SS like this.
  5. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Come on down to HamCation in February fellow hams...because everything is perfect at this event!;)

KF4ZKU, N3OB and K9UR like this.
  6. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Greene County---where?

7. K8TE

K8TE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Duh! Ohio (HamVention.

BTW, I've been to Hamcation (Orlando) in the rain. I was not impressed.

I had spaces in the HamVention Flea Market for many years. I won't again until and unless the drainage at Green County Fairgrounds/Expo improves. As long as it doesn't rain, there isn't a problem.

73, Bill, K8TE

K9SS likes this.
  8. N5DUX

N5DUX Ham Member QRZ Page

They really need to air condition the buildings if Hamvention is going to stay there. It was sweltering inside the buildings if you weren't right by a door - even then it was just tolerable.
    So that's the folks that come for the commercial stuff.
    If you came for the flea market... lordy, what a cluster that was!

I know there are growing pains, but the road leading into the Fairgrounds just can't support the crush of traffic. It's a two-lane road. At Hara you had two lanes in either direction and various parking opportunities as you neared the Arena. The two lane road leading to the Fairgrounds limits traffic flow on either approach. At Hara you had 3 (maybe 4) approaches which helped spread out the chances of traffic problems. One slowdown at the Fairgrounds and you cause a delay that is amplified for the miles leading to the place.

Port-a-potties, mud, no A/C... I hope it gets sorted out before/during next year or there will be a lot less folks to deal with in the following years.

N4ZED, W8LGZ and K9SS like this.
  9. W4FID

W4FID XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's true. HamCation in Orlando has a much better facility. Air conditioned buildings. Decent connecting roads. Decent parking. Decent bathrooms and enough of them. True, if it rains the flea market is wet. Any outdoor thing is wet in any rain. But it's on pavement and many of the flea people have a shelter over their table. And, as the ham population in general ages this becomes more and more important -- the people who run HamCation are sensitive to and responsive to the needs of limited mobility folks. Also Orlando is a nice family destination for anyone who wants to include the family on the trip.

KF4ZKU, KA4DPO, N4BKT and 1 other person like this.
  10. KD8LRW

KD8LRW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think a lot of you are being very harsh, the committee had only a few months to secure and set up a venue that was in the same place for over 40 years, yes there were growing pains (I know I wish I had brought my swampers) what was expected?
    I for one think it was one of the better Hamventions I had been to in in many years how could they have expected a torrential down pour or temps over 80? In the years I have gone to Dayton Hamvention I have been soaked, sunburned, snowed on (only a few minutes) and had the perfect May day.
    But the one thing that made Zenixa was the room to move in Herra the booths were so tight I always seemed to be steeping on some one, not mention how bad Herra was who can forget the raw sewage coming out of the black top? I am really looking forward to May and the 2018 Hamvention to see how the Committee improves on last year.

73!
    KD8LRW
    Fred

N3OB, KN4RA, WA8FOZ and 16 others like this.
  11. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

What the heck is "Herra"? Is it these boots?

12. N0GB

N0GB Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the opportunity to go to both locations. I always have a good time. I think they do a great job and I hope people realize the significance of another building at the Fairgrounds. I would hazard to say that this would not have happened if it were not for the Hamvention committee working closely with county officials. Good job on all your efforts! I look forward to attending next year.

WA8FOZ, NK9Y, K9SS and 2 others like this.
  13. N0GB

N0GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha! those actually look pretty good for "women's combat boots" 73

14. N0TLD

N0TLD Ham Member QRZ Page

It doesn't seem to me, at least, that anyone is necessarily being 'harsh', but simply stating their wishes for improvement of the event -- if it comes out cynical or sarcastic that's their issue. :) But I see nothing unreasonable about asking the premiere convention of the year to provide a reasonably safe, clean and comfortable environment for all attendees and vendors, etc.. In fact, I see nothing unreasonable in *expecting* that higher standard -- it's not a small, local hamfest struggling to get a venue. They have numbers and dollars enough to do it right, or at least enough dollars to do it as right as they can, and even on the cheap things can certainly be fixed and improved there, and should be. No, they can't predict rain or heat, it's not their fault, but good, competent event planning must always take the possibility of weather issues into account and in not doing so (seemingly, anyway) they are culpable for the hot, muddy mess of an event. There have been numerous comments and complaints (some truly 'harsh', unfortunately) about this event in forums and other ham sites all over the 'net and I think it behooves them to pay attention and make it right. It only takes a few years of difficult, unpleasant experiences to kill an event for years to come, if not permanently. I do say good luck to them, I hope they CAN improve and fix and show everyone a good, positive experience!

K9SS and N0GB like this.
  15. N0TLD

N0TLD Ham Member QRZ Page

And where is Zenixa? :)

N0GB likes this.