Newbies please stop using...

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WB2WIK, Feb 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KD7CFM

KD7CFM Ham Member QRZ Page

I surfed Manhatten, Holywood by the Sea, The Reef and Santa Monica in the 70's. "Valley, Go HOME!"
    I am a noob at CW and Morse Code.
    I didn't know how to do any of things I do well now when I first started doing them. But you never get good if you don't keep doing it. The difference between a piker and an expert is about 5,000 tries.

KI5AAI likes this.
  2. KA5NLY

KA5NLY Ham Member QRZ Page

WD4IGX said: "QTH HR IS is an abominable construction that instantly grates on my nerves but not because of the characters. I'm not in that much of a hurry even at slow speeds. It bothers me for the same reason "ATM machine" and "PIN number" do."

How about the commonly used (for autos) VIN number? I sometimes respond with "My VIN# Number is..." (it's a mean streak that I inherited from Mom)

Smiff

W9EBE and WN1MB like this.
  3. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

Please do not send ".."
    if you are not done with the QSO and going to get ticked off when it prompts someone to call you.

Also, before you call CQ, at least send a question mark or qrl? Often only one side of a qso can be heard and there are some old farts who will send 10 minutes worth of health info. Also know that C means yes in answer to the question.

N2OTG likes this.
  4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In my defense I was defending ah...what might I call them...neophytes...dang another N-word! :D
    It's getting so hard to be correct now days.

M6GYU and WN1MB like this.
  5. KA5NLY

Wow! I have seen this thread for the first time today, and just now finished reading all 22 pages.

At this point I must inquire, is there a nice short proword for ROLTF/LMAO? Will "Hi" suffice?

Smiff
    (prob abt 3wpm w/many ltrs unk)

WN1MB likes this.
  6. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Where do you stand on Tuna Fish and Shrimp Scampi?

WN1MB likes this.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Worse one: "Military Intelligence."

8. KA5NLY

or "Honest Lawyer"

9. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Jumbo shrimp.

10. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

KN is used when calling a specific station for a sked and you dont want another station to reply
    at other times in qso only k is needed although KN indicates you dont want others to break in.
    bottom of page 22 here http://thersgb.org/publications/iar...rational-procedures-for-the-radio-amateur.pdf
    page 26 gives clarification for using KN when in qso

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020