Newbies please stop using...

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WB2WIK, Feb 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And I thought that came from Rodney Dangerfield, but it does sound like Groucho.

Guys, SKCC tries to encourage operators to stay busy all month on the air, not just one or two sprints. They have several different things to do with 'fun' awards for completing some particular goal. SKCC isn't alone in this. Most organizations have little certificates, etc. One station a month is enlisted to transmit 'at his discretion' calling CQ SKCC in order to provide a station for new members to contact , or old members to just add a monthly contact. Others do so, simply to make a few quick, or not so quick contacts with folks they have worked many times. Personally I see little difference in doing a 'SKCC CQ' in their band of frequencies or calling on the 27's expecting members of that fraternity. Or 28's. It's all good.
    I am disappointed that anyone would be rough treated for answering a CQ SKCC not having a number. When a nonmember calls me during a sprint, I try to briefly let the other know what's happening and invite them to join. More than once I've totally blown a sprint, by ending up in rag chew with a non member and was glad to do so.

SKCC is the reason, I bought a bug. It's the reason, I learned the cootie. In fact, I relicensed and used a Bencher iambic before I ever joined SKCC and it's the reason, I bought a straight key. Now, I rarely pull out a paddle.
    Any op can have a bad day, but from what I've seen of the SKCC ops, most are pretty good Joe's. What you will see there are ops trying to use keys new to them and sometimes that's a little rough. Been there.
    If you can't stand the fist, you could always just keep spinning the dial. No biggie. 73, yall.

WA1GXC, W5BIB, WN1MB and 1 other person like this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

^ THIS! ^

Awesome post. Thank you!

WA1GXC likes this.
  3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What??? Newbies interjecting their own way of doing things!!! By god have them flogged!!! We'll show them the right way to do things...even if we have to frighten them away for good. It's the only way we can keep the sacred brotherhood alive! At least that's what I was told. :D

4. WN1MB

Careful there, Ed. There have been some recent posts where use of "newb" or "noob" has been called into serious question. Apparently the agenda being pushed is that non-newb/non-noob hams are not allowed to call a newb/noob a newb/noob. However, it's perfectly acceptable for a newb/noob to call a fellow newb/noob a newb/noob.

Imagine that! We hams now have our very own N-word!

Welcome to the decline...

...bunch of bed wetting whiners.

5. KI5AAI

KI5AAI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I am truly a noob/newbie. I have no prblems with labels LOL

6. WN1MB

Good for you! I was PROUD to be and called a novice back in the late 60s.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Everyone was, once.

At least with code and CW, being a noob probably isn't risking your life.

Ask me about being a noob surfer back in 1988.:p

WN1MB likes this.
  8. KI5AAI

I have never surfed. on the bucket list. Plenty of years jumping out of planes though :)

9. WN1MB

Never surfed. Never jumped out of a plane. However, I have commuted during rush hours on I-91 through CT on a motorcycle.

N2OTG, KJ7ODD and KI5AAI like this.
  10. KI5AAI

That is more dangerous :)