Newbie question: Any benefit to checking in to a net if you have nothing to add?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE8OTQ, Sep 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KE8OTQ

KE8OTQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good evening:

I've been listening to 2M as a new ham and finding the local nets in my area. I mostly just listen unless I have something to add; seems better to not tie up the net just to announce my call sign. However, I was wondering if it's better to check in just so show interest and passively show support. Can any experienced net operators give insight into the other side? Do net operators write down and keep logs of who signs into their nets?

AE8W, WZ7U, VK4HAT and 1 other person like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Go for it! Just check in and say hello.

No reason not to

Unless it's some very specific net requiring some special qualification - but such nets always announce stuff like that in the preamble.

Listen for a few nights and see how they run it and follow suit

Dave
    W7UUU

N0TZU, WQ4G, WA9SVD and 3 others like this.
  3. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You have as much to add to the net as anyone. Being new on the air you probably have more to add. Because the regulars would like to get to know you and should have a few questions to help you loosen up and let them get to know you. And yes, the net control station (NCS) usually would keep a net roster, but not always. Some net managers keep good records of checkins. Other nets are less formal and they just chat. So welcome to ham radio and don't be shy, jump right in.

W9BFZ, W5ESE, W4NNF and 3 others like this.
  4. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If they're asking for check-ins, by all means, check in!

Whether they keep a log may vary, most nets around here do, but I suspect the logs are rarely viewed, so they don't matter very much.

But the reason to check in to a 2m net is to let other local hams hear your name, call sign, and voice. It's good to become a familiar voice among your local hams, and makes it nice when you meet them in person. And when you throw your call out at other times, some people are more likely to answer a familiar call and voice.

W5ESE, KC3PBI, KF5KWO and 3 others like this.
  5. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

On the days when I am Net Control, I will gladly take your check-in !!

AH2AP, WS4JM and W0FS like this.
  6. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

No use to me. But others find it useful and important. Moral of the story, do what you want to do, be what you wanna be yeah.... and let others do what they want.

KU5Q and KK9W like this.
  7. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

There are many No-Traffic Nets on HF. A lot of check-ins, but rarely any traffic. "W5xxx, no traffic."

AG5CK and WA5VGO like this.
  8. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You might want to consider downloading Netlogger; which is a visual program that displays which stations has checked into a specific net. Net Controls find this useful as they can systemically go down the list of check-ins. Also, Netlogger has an IM feature which allows you to post comments while the net is in session.

http://www.netlogger.org/

9. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The "Check In No Traffic" (CINT) nets are how a lot of old-timers let everyone know they're still alive.

K1APJ, WS4JM, WG7X and 3 others like this.
  10. N6ATF

N6ATF Ham Member QRZ Page

In addition to the benefits above, I would add that it's a good way to get signal reports on a wide range of repeaters & maintain your readiness for voluntary noncommercial communication service. Sometimes you may get snap diagnoses of mic, power supply, feedline/antenna issues too!

I've gotten quick enough at keypad power level changes that if my initial checkin gets a bad signal report, I can bump up in the space of time it takes control to finish the report & ask for a repeat, and key up again when the repeater drops.

Also, if you can, monitor the repeater inputs in case you can relay anyone who's not making it. Checking yourself in will reduce the surprise if you do manage to provide a relay.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    W5ESE, KC3PBI, AG6QR and 1 other person like this.