Newbie question about DMR radios

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by ARTMUSTEL, Feb 3, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. ARTMUSTEL

ARTMUSTEL QRZ Member

Hello everyone. I am new to the realm of HAM radio and hoping to pass my exams on next February 13th. My only piece of HAM equipment at this time is a Baofeng UV-5R which at the moment I'm using only in receiving mode. I've been watching youtube videos about the different DMR transceivers available and I've found them interesting but, sadly, there are no DMR repeaters in my area (the closest one is over 100 miles away from my town). Now, the big question is...would DMR still be useful somewhat in my situation, or with the lack of a DMR repeater in my area this purchase would'nt make sense at all?

Thanks !

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Art, best wishes for passing the test!!

You can buy a "hot spot", like a ZUM Radio. Plug it in to a Raspberry Pi, and configure Pi*Star software for DMR mode. Voila, your own personal repeater. It will connect with the larger network of DMR machines worldwide.

Oh, you'll need a DMR radio. That's the best thing about amateur radio, the new toys never stop...

3. ARTMUSTEL

ARTMUSTEL QRZ Member

Thanks for your help K6CLS. Zum radio and Raspberry Pi (will a Raspberry Pi 3 work?

How does it all work? Connecting this system to my WiFi?

Thank you!

4. ARTMUSTEL

ARTMUSTEL QRZ Member

Guess I've found those responses by myself. It is very interesting, thank you for show me the path!