Newbie here with a Yaesu FT-8900R question...

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KJ7RVB, Dec 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K0VWA

K0VWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup. :) To correct/update a memory location, you first update the settings manually and then save over the current memory location. To use your example of needing to turn off repeater shift for a memory location, just hit SET (middle button) and turn the main dial knob until you get to #33, RPT.MOD. Press the dial knob and then turn it to select OFF. Press and hold the dial knob for 1/2 second to save and exit the menu. Finally, hold down SET until the memory location number starts flashing then turn the dial knob to the channel number you want to update. Once you're on the correct memory location hit SET again to update it. This bit is on page 34 in the manual. I find the memory setting/updating process a little tough to remember because I don't do it very often. Our local ARES group requires that we're able to manually program our radios on the fly so at least I get to practice a few times a year.

You can also change other settings like power level and tone encode/decode and those will be saved along with the repeater offset or lack thereof. Since you're working simplex you might not need to encode a CTCSS/DCS tone. My FT-8800R scans noticably quicker on channels that do not have a tone squelch set.

Good luck!

VA7AMX and KJ7RVB like this.
  2. KJ7RVB

KJ7RVB Ham Member QRZ Page

Got it, thanks!

K0VWA likes this.
  3. KC0NIB

KC0NIB Ham Member QRZ Page

Best recommendation I can give is to use some cloning software. My radio is in my vehicle and so I bring the laptop out, plug it in and zap it. Just that quick. I can make changes and rezap if needed. I like this.

4. KJ7RVB

KJ7RVB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, but I do not have a laptop...carrying the desktop tower outside or removing the installed radio and bringing it inside would be a real pain.

5. KC0NIB

KC0NIB Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear ya. You would need a really long serial cable. It was just a suggestion. The other would be to pull the radio and head; bring indoors and hook up to a power supply and dummy load. You can program at the computer at that point. In the event you have some extra cash laying around, you can find refurb laptops at most local Goodwill stores on the cheap. Put at least Windows 7 on it if it doesn't already have it, and load up software to zap the radio. Again; just a suggestion.

6. W1GHD

W1GHD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Updating my 8900R via laptop is fun! Radio is in the trunk, control head is in the center console. Fortunately there’s a pass-through from the back seat to the trunk for the programming cable, but it’s a balancing act with the laptop.

7. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an 8900 inside my shack at home and even that's a pain to reprogram because of the hassle plugging the cable into the back of the radio mounted on a shelf. I really like the Yaesu digital radios with their ability to program using a MicroSD card. I wish all radios were like that.