Newbie Confused

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7ZSD, May 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N7ZSD

N7ZSD Ham Member QRZ Page

I admit it, I'm a newbie to HF. Just passed the code after 11 years of Technicianism.(I'm just lazy, code is cake at 5-10 wpm). I have a couple of questions. Who is W6ADO and what the #%$&# is he doing on 7.100? Is he there 24/7? Is this code practice? Is this a beacon station, or is it some form of "broadcasting"? (judging by the content of some of the text I'm not so sure it isn't). Does his house look like one really big heat sink? Am I just being stupid? You can tell me, I won't be offended.  
    To be honest, I'm not all that impressed with HF...yet. Taking the General written next week, but so far, in less than a month, I have heard some of the rudest behavior, seen naked girlie pics, and I even found out that you can buy a particular radio frequency from the FCC. If you don't believe me, email me. I'll give you the call signs of a couple of guys that sure think they own 'em! Oh, the uncertainty of it all! Don't mind me,it's late, and I'm getting punchy....

2. kc0ebm

kc0ebm Banned QRZ Page

If I'm not mistaken, I think the guy on 7.100 is sending Biblical text continuously. If that's the one, we were just discussing the legality of it. If its code practice, its legal.

Anyway, welcome to HF. Sorry you are somewhat disappointed, but we are in the process of fixing that. We've admittedly been a little lax on enforcement, but that's not the case now. It will take some time, but most of the abuses you hear now will be gone soon. Just be patient.

Better yet, take some time to bone up on the rules. Rules mean things. And we enforce 'em.

If you're looking for somebody to practice code with you, put out the word here on this board. You will be glad you did.

Good luck on the Gen ticket. I'm sure, since you're already negatively impressed for some of the antics on HF, you will have more regard for the rules and will set a better example for others to emulate.

Listen around a lot. Pick your amateur radio friends wisely. Don't QSO with violators. It against the rules.

Be willing to accept constructive criticism from your amateur radio peers. This is a self policing service and we are abliged to keep each other straight and in compliance. Its the amateur way.

Please, enjoy all the hobby aspects of amateur radio, but don't forget that this is a service. Enhance your enjoyment and respect for amateur radio by contributing some of your talent to one or more of the services that amateur radio provides.

Remember, the hobby exists because the service exists.

Tom KCØEBM

3. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

One way transmissions with the intent of sending a message or supporting an agenda fall into the broadcasting category. Proving intent, though, is something very different. This is why the ARRL (W1AW) uses text segments from QST for its code practice. No "message." If you monitor their bulletins you will also note a lack of agenda; they simply report their actions, or the actions of other bodies/individuals concerning ham radio. A very fine line at times, but accepted as innocent and without hidden intent.

HF is changing, and you can and will be part of the change. Help make it go in the right direction. That means with courtesy, pride and complying with the rules. What you hear so much is the result of the "I'll do it my way" generation unleashed upon us. Hopefully that pendlelum is starting to swing back, but we can't be sure for a while yet.

Make smart decisions, and don't be a follower of those who bend the rules or even bend the intent of the hobby. You can do that by simply knowing what ham radio really "is" and "was" and doing as you are doing - learning its traditions and why it was a proud hobby. You may be key in making it proud again.

Ed

4. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

...and yes, W6ADO is on there 24/7. The code is often good for practice, but not always, as it can be very choppy and even erratic. Better code practice by far can be had from W1AW, and you don't have to be concerned about the "message."

Ed

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Do not forget to write your anti-BPL letters,
    encourage new amateur radio participation and generally be nice
    to one another. That is all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.