ad: MyersEng-1

New Zealand License Statistics

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M5AKA, Jul 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W5MJL

W5MJL Ham Member QRZ Page

2. kd4mxe

kd4mxe QRZ Member QRZ Page

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Keep up the good work boys. While you've all beeen busy posting on QRZ, it's given me a chance to find a clear frequency on 20m.
    soixante treize, howard G7XYZ

4. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Never thought this could happen - FAP and MXE are starting to sound alike [​IMG]

5. W5MJL

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh [​IMG]

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I woner if Andrew, 2e0kck, will be back on soon to keep a semblence of order about the original post, and to ask pertinent questions, as he does so well.
    73 G7XYZ M0WEM ( Whisky Every Morning)

7. ZL1BYZ

ZL1BYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That is what i love about CW, doesn't matter if you are a ditch digger or a doctor. You both could do it, if you were willing to work at it.

John

8. W5MJL

Yep, it was part of the glue that bonded the amateur radio community. Now it's gone.

9. ZL1BYZ

ZL1BYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Remembering the topic really is about maintaining standards.

I always thought that the CW test introduced a fairness into the testing that is very hard to replace. That is what bought on my comment about the ditch digger and doctor. (personally I think we should apply a little more value to the ditch digger than we do. Think were we would be if he didn't do his job right.)

Anyway it is a great leveler and in that way a good way of testing if someone will value the privilege of using the amateur bands. Perhaps that is what that part of the examination requirements was about, to maintain a rounded examination process for all people.

So it was a great way to maintain fairness to those of us who are not that great on the technical side of radio.

I think that eventually we will all lament the day the requirement was removed.

It hasn't been the answer here in ZL. We just had ZL contest here and of the instant upgraders in our local club only one came on air. Probably have to supply the radio, put the antenna up and push the on button before some of the others could bother their ass to come up.

John.

10. W0LC

W0LC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That is true. Sure didn' t increase their numbers overall did it?
    So what was the point dropping it in the first place one wonders?

11. N4ZIQ

N4ZIQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Numerous high schools and colleges require a second language, yet most of them will never use it. I had to pass code tests, and I never used it again. In my opinion it was a waste, yet it did round me out as a HAM. I in awe of those who can send and receive code at 20+ WPM, and have real respect for them. Overall, I can't see the 30,000 foot view of CW vs no CW pros and cons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.