ad: cq2k-1

New Years Resolutions!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Jan 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

KC8PMX writes "In the wake of the 9-11-01 disasters and also in memory of Ross KD7NWY, why don't we all make a New Years Resolution to recruit at least one person each in to the hobby?

This would be a great way to remember those who we have lost, and of course, to help our numbers grow. I see that Ross's page is up to 8000+ hits, so that means that alot of people see the QRZ.COM pages here. Imagine up to 10,000 more new operators in 2002!

Think about it. PROMOTE, EDUCATE, SHARE WITH OTHERS THE FUN OF AMATEUR RADIO!

de Ryan KC8PMX
    kc8pmx@tm.net"

2. kf4gmh

kf4gmh Ham Member QRZ Page

As I sat at the internet cafe speaking to my wife in real time; I could not help but to think where are the days of Ham radio going? Oh, let's not forget that I also was able to see her via net cam and the fact that we are 6000 miles apart from each other. Is ham radio a thing of the past I wondered? Is it something that is headed to the low tech trash can or, is it something that is "virtually" on the fringes of major communication breaktthrough's.
    As we ham radio op's have a habit of doing, and that is talking but no action, it ocurred to me that we are the very reason why some people consider this a dying hobby. We have the thought that if all we have to do is get on the internet and talk to someone as well as see them, why on earth would the younger generation be at all interested in something they consider obsolete. As I sat there, I wondered. Does my wife take an interest in ham radio? YOU BET! My kids? I can't take the mike away from them in the car because they want to be just like daddy! Of course dial lock and even the off and on switch goes off when nowbody is there of course. So, in the future there will be more hams. However, we need to start doing and being "proactive" instead of "reactive" when things like this happen. Kids are indeed very curious about ham radio. Lets feed that so they do get there liceance. Yes, I am a ham who also see's the internet as a communication tool but, it's not a challenge. The only challenge is staying connected and not rebooting when it locks up! Let's show people the "CHALLENGE" of radio and the fun it really is. Oh, Before someone might bash me for turning to the internet, let me assure you it is because I can't put up any anntena's and I am not allowed mobile coms. Thank you and have a nice day.

3. BEENTHERE

BEENTHERE QRZ Member

Don't forget Kid's Day on Jan 5th, 2002 - from 18:00-24:00 UTC. Please reference the following websites for information and suggested frequencies:

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/kd-rules.html

http://www.jzap.com/k7rat/

ALSO... If you speak with 3 different kids at ONE station, please mail a QSL card to EACH one. This makes a big difference and a lasting impression. Take good notes on what you discussed and carefully record their names so that you can respond properly with your QSL card/s.

Remember, you don't have to be a kid to talk to one, and, if each one of us works only a few Kid's Day stations, this event should be a great success.

Final Note: Remember to talk to the kids about what THEY are interested in, and, compliment them on their operating skills.

Happy New Year & 73

4. KE4PJW

KE4PJW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2001 was the year I got back into ham radio. It is also the year I dragged several friends into the hobby too :)

KG4NRC (Sean)
    KG4OZL (George)
    KG4PHT (Greg)
    KG4QQK (Jenna)

This was also the year I went from Tech to Extra. Maybe my goal this year should be to get some of the guys/gal to upgrade :)

5. N5XM

N5XM Ham Member QRZ Page

September 11th ruined things for all of us, but as far as Ham Radio is concerned, 2001 was a great year, at least for me. I logged a bunch of stations, and even worked a few new countries, which is always fun. I don't actively chase DX, but it's always nice to put a new one in the log. Hard work and patience have allowed me to significantly improve my CW skills, and this was a goal at this time last year. I've been able to improve my station tremendously with some well-timed trades and purchases that give me an operating position I am very proud of. I've made some great friends I didn't have a year ago, and these are priceless. What kind of New Year's Resolutions do I have on my mind? Other than improving my station further, and becoming a better CW op, and just a better Ham in general, there must be some things I can do, or should try to do that would help me, the Hobby, or both. I want to be better about not judging other Hams' on the air behaviour when they do something I don't consider proper. It just seems like the more active I am, the easier it is to criticize other Hams for doing this, or for not doing that. I believe very strongly that we need to be nicer to each other, that we need to be more polite on the air, but I keep finding myself posessed of an attitude that I don't like, one that I would not tolerate in others. It's easy to say that we need to be kinder and more gentle in our dealings with one another, but how do we go from talk to the arena of action? We want to advertise our Hobby to others who might be interested in becoming Hams, and I wonder how we would react if we could hear ourselves on the air, and I mean on CW too, because there are people everywhere who copy our scratchings. I guess what I'm getting at is that my Resolution is to be more patient with others AND myself. Perfection is a long, difficult path, and we all get there a little bit at a time. Furthermore, the process is as important, maybe more important than the destination.

6. AH2AP

AH2AP Ham Member QRZ Page

Before you start bashing the idea of turning to the internet for communication purposes, let me remind you that it is king. No radio medium will ever top it. So don't go on feeling bad or making others feel bad for using it. Radio is a hobby. It's a love. It's something that won't go away because there's a replacement for it's communications purpose. It'll only go away when either we run out, or the government decides to ban it. I like the internet.. It's just not as much fun.

7. KD7MPG

KD7MPG Ham Member QRZ Page

Morse Code is something I plan to tackle for this year's resolution. I have heard from other local hams of the possibility that CW will not be required when taking the General test, but I don't plan to wait who knows how many years for that to happen. I figure the code is an important part of ham radio and it's history. If its something a person can learn, they should.

8. n9zle

n9zle Banned QRZ Page

I have attempted to create a HAM out of several friends and fellow employees nobody wants to. Each one I offer a free 2 meter radio and antenna if they get there license. It is like offering a brand new dolly to a little boy( "If you play with it you can have it.") No thanks is the answer, no body has any interest in HAM radio any more. People seem to think of it as CB with all the cussing. Offered my boy a new Kenwood 2000 if he got in to it, he would rather play with his Xbox.

One of the atractions of Ham radio was all of the dials buttons and electronic gizmos placed on a big desk (sifi coming to life). The thought of talking to somebody thousands of miles away (Wow). It is just no big deal any more.

73s N9ZLE

9. KJ7YB

KJ7YB Ham Member QRZ Page

Possibly one of the best ways to create new intrest is not showing them a radio but telling them about what they can do to help and be the one of the local "heros" when disaster strikes, locally, in the U. S. and abroad when Phones and other communications fail.
    Tell them how hams help durring natural disasters or how hams helped after the Sept. 11 2001 World Trade Center Terrorist attact.
    I was involved in communications in three major earthquakes, 1 in Alaska and 2 in California (both remotely) and witnessed many people appreciate the help of "HAMS"

10. N5LXI

N5LXI Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree -- get someone turned onto ham radio. I'm trying to get a 15-year old neighbor involved. I loaned him an old two-meter FM rig (minus the mic) and Power Supply. I'm going to give it to him when (if) he passes his Tech.

It's not worth much at a ham fest, but a great starter rig. Why not recycle an old radio the same way! We're going to BUILD the antenna and install it so he will learn something more too.

joel Sampson / N5LXI / Dallas
    www.joelsampson.com

11. KC8PMX

KC8PMX QRZ Member

Lets keep those great suggestions coming! Again, for each person to try to bring a "newbie in '02 would be great. Show them all the things they can do!

Thank you to all for being positive, and to the person who stated they were having a hell of time trying to "sell" ham radio to certain people, possibly there is a different way to approach them. Or look at different groups of people?

N9ZLE, If I manage to finally pass the code, can I have that new 2000??? Just kidding. Peace to all.

de KC8PMX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.