ad: CQMM-1

New Yaesu Mobiles Coming -- FTM-3207DR and FT-2980R!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, May 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KT5OT

KT5OT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

the diamond nr22l ia an awesome antenna!

2. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Five more (rated) watts of transmitter output... Dang, that's a game changer! ;)

At the end of the day, what's the OTD Price Point? ;)

W5TXR likes this.
  3. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I like what W2TXB said! I don't want to say anything but...as I said above every FT-2900 I have ever purchased has fallen short of the 75 watt mark, As with most of the VHF/UHF Yaesu stuff. Don't get me wrong as a two way radio professional I can tell you Yaesu makes very good stuff overall. I would have made some fundamental changes on the amateur radio equipment but that's another discussion.
    Back to my point of the FT-2900 not making the 75 watt mark, Will the new FT- 80 watt transceiver make 75 watts. Why make another model transceiver and the only change is 5 watts more RF power?? Really?? Is this poor marketing or poor or lack of engineering ?
    Hello? McFly?? Anyone home? Make a 100 watt dash/trunk mount (100 true watts)
    Did Yaesu stop the assembly line and swipe the power control pot to (around) 80 watts or is there an actual new MOSFET in place in the PA?
    I was trying to think if there was a design or FCC type acceptance issue with going from or crossing over the 49 dbm RF line (which is about 80 watts) perhaps a significant power increase in design causes the proverbial "Monkey wrench" with the FCC??
    So to go from 80 watts to 100 watts is an increase of only 1.0 dbm = 50 dbM (1 dbm sounds kinda trivial to some of us)
    Anyways, I'm on a tangent.
    My point was, is the increase marketing, lack of engineering or is there a deeper reason they can only go to 80 watts or 49. dbM for design or FCC reasons?

"What's in your Ham Shack?"© -Art

AD0JA likes this.
  4. KC9KLL

KC9KLL Ham Member QRZ Page

My 2900 is AWESOME except it gets HOT !! I put a small 1.5" 12VDC fan blowing on the heatsink (ran the fan on 5 volts) - problem solved! mine is NOT for sale and probably never will be. LOVE It ! - I did find ONE unsoldered connection in it - took less than 5 minutes to fix it.

5. N3RSJ

N3RSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sure glad they stepped forward with a 70cm radio.
    The 3200D has a rugged look to it front speaker & now UHF soon too .
    Now in SW PA fusion has been incorparated in 2m band mostly.
    This will give some repeater owner/operators flexibility using UHF with Wires X 70cm for dx, 2m local say.
    As aUHF analog FM radio this will be great also for regular repeater users.
    The two radios side by side will allow twin-band full duplex recieve something the FTM-100 should of done.
    Price & data port out probly not ..would be nice, yet to be seen ,
    Now come on guys a 220 radio next for fm analog unless you got fusion 220 repeaters ready?
    50-60 watts FM analog even" .
    Ok" say your going to do it a FT-2920R*.

6. N3RSJ

N3RSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Bet be about $189.99
    If it can beat Alinco DR-435MKII price good.
    But that radios about $250.00
    Crazy but great yeasu will have a mono-band UHF radio now.

7. K5BO

K5BO Ham Member QRZ Page

It must be a bit different inside as the RT Systems software for the 2900 won't work with the 2980 from what I have been told. I have a 2980 ordered. I love my 2900, it works and receives great!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  8. N5ZZT

N5ZZT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 2900 and the RT System software and I just got a 2980 and the RT System works great on both radios

9. WS4E

WS4E Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't be the only one who thinks these new Yaesu's look like Icom IC-2000/2100/2200's with a baofeng mobile orange buttons thrown on top.

AD0JA likes this.
  10. KE0WRU

KE0WRU Ham Member QRZ Page

bought new 2980 in january,wish id kept my money 3 weeks old it got very very hot using high power for about 5 minutes,was told i sounded garbled. shut it down n fired up my KENWOOD TM 271 was told sounds much better. after the 2980 colled off i fired it up again n on 80 and 30 watts it dropped my ps from 13.8 to 12.1 n pou out 22 watts.it sets at yahoo repair as of yesterday unfixed. 3 yaesu radios all 3 were pos.last yaesu im buying. icom ic 2300h is looking good to me rite now. but others milage might be better. i shoulda sent it back before i even hooked it up looked too chinesey

KT5OT likes this.