ad: HamHats-1

New Yaesu Mobiles Coming -- FTM-3207DR and FT-2980R!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, May 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W4LKO

W4LKO Ham Member QRZ Page

Attached Files:

K2JBC and AD5KO like this.
  2. KT5OT

KT5OT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

hope they do something with the awful recieve and intermod these rigs have!

AJ4WC, K2JBC, N2YGI and 2 others like this.
  3. AD0MI

AD0MI Ham Member QRZ Page

nice, the 3207DR may find a place in my shack. Due to the stupidity of repeater coordination around here, almost every single Fusion repeater is on UHF.

K2JBC likes this.
  4. AD0JA

AD0JA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My FT2900R has worse RX than any of my TH-F6a handhelds. Very disappointing. This was after I replaced the IF filters as previously wide band receive was totally deaf.

WOW, 80w from 75w, I'm sure that's a huge difference...NOT.

What's the use in having a radio that can hit everything, but can't hear it?

K2JBC, N2YGI, W5AMG and 1 other person like this.
  5. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish they would skip the wide band receive and just concentral improvements on the operating ham bands. I for one don't want or need wide band receive on my ham equipment.

KT5OT, VE7WAE, K2JBC and 3 others like this.
  6. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have both a 2900R and a 3200DR and neither of them is "totally deaf," and neither of them exhibit "awful receive and intermod."

There was a small number of 2900's made with a faulty WFM IF filter, which is a $1 part from Yaesu and takes a few minutes to replace. This faulty filter caused receiver insensitivity and poor receive SINAD. (Kenwood D710's also had this problem in a small number, as they both use the same WFM IF filter).

Is it really necessary to blow things completely out of proportion, all the time?

KC9KLL, KD5BVX, KX4CC and 8 others like this.
  7. KM4NYI

KM4NYI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a 2900R, and it's a fantastic performing radio on receive and transmit. Built like a tank, works great, easy to operate........the new model adding a little more "punch" is about the only improvement I can think of for the venerable 2900.

N9EIV and K2JBC like this.
  8. KD9ERS

KD9ERS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I also have the 2900R, it's a great rig. I hear very well on it and it's great on simplex. Love the little work horse!

K2JBC likes this.
  9. KJ6TQ

KJ6TQ Ham Member QRZ Page

This could be a game-changer for linking repeaters via UHF!!! I'm curious what the FTM-3207DR price will be.

K2JBC likes this.
  10. K2JBC

K2JBC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I purchased a 2900R a few months ago. It is very inconstant with the output.
    Even when cool I get varying wattage. Could be full 75W or as little as 55-60W.
    Any other radio on the same antenna system is consistent.
    The receive is fine and I use it on NBEMS for ARES digital nets as well as phone.

11. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I own several FT-2900R's they work great for packet and APRS. The only issue I have with the radio is I have NEVER had a radio with 75 watts or better. they always seem to be a few watts shy of advertised power. I am using a calibrated Bird 43. While the sensitivity on these is around .19 uV (20 dB quieting) I would agree that the receive selectivity could be better. The IF rejection and adjacent channel rejection for this radio are mediocre at best the image rejection is indeed poor.
    For high noise locations I use Motorola Maxtrac/Radius mobile M216 or GM 300's, they work and keep working! The nice thing about the Motorola stuff, it's inexpensive. On the bidding website they are a dime-a-dozen because of the NBFM mandate, there is boat loads of great Motorola stuff. Another great radio is the CDM1200 series
    I discovered a long time ago there is a trade off in receive characteristics, If you find a radio with great receive sensitivity the selectivity will not be so good, however you get a radio with .30 uV sensitivity (e.g. Motorola Maxtrac) you will get very good selectivity, simply put you will not get both. I will take the .30 uV any day.
    Another option for the FT-2900 in a high noise area is a receive preselector or band-pass filter I purchased a DCI-145-2H 2 meter , 4 pole 2 MHz wide bandpass filter and they kick butt! They are a little expensive but they do what they advertise!
    they have a huge selection of filters.
    http://www.dci.ca/?Section=Products&SubSection=Amateur

"What's in your Ham Shack?"© -Art

AD0JA, KT5OT and W2JKT like this.
  12. AD0MI

AD0MI Ham Member QRZ Page

this is where these radios (the 3200 and 3207) miss the mark, they do not have the 10 pin plug to hook up to an HRI-200

13. VE7REN

VE7REN Ham Member QRZ Page

i had a ft2900 and found it had a great reciever,and was large in size.. it got very warm on longer tx time,so i sold it and went back to the ic2300h. no problems now. the yaesus need work still

KT5OT likes this.
  14. KU4EB

KU4EB Ham Member QRZ Page

Must be where you live I have the 2900r and have no intermod issues. And receives fine...

15. KU4EB

KU4EB Ham Member QRZ Page

If your running high power all the time. Or talk excessive yes it will warm up. But I have no issue with it. Usually run 30 watts mobile. With the diamond nr22l have no problem getting out on 30 watts.

KT5OT likes this.