ad: portazero-1

New Yaesu HF Trxcvr FT-450

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by W2NSF, Mar 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W2NSF

W2NSF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like they're exploring a new price niche.

2. KI5MS

KI5MS Ham Member QRZ Page

3. W2NSF

W2NSF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for supplying that link, Roger!
    73, Jim

4. VA3SAX

VA3SAX Ham Member QRZ Page

what do you mean new price niche? it would seem to be in the same magnitude of price range as the FT-897...however it does look like it has a better display on it.

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was looking at a Nov '49 QST and a new National receiver was $292 ...accounting for inflation, that was a $4000 radio....I guess we still get a pretty good deal, eh?

6. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The front panel looks cheap. Appears to be Dymo type labels over switches .. white with black lettering... could not they do better?

Bill, W0LPQ/9

7. TF3JB

TF3JB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with the comment that the new 450 looks cheap... Of course it is hard to be sure until the transceiver has been seen and tested. Nevertheless, something about it remindes me of the IC-718. Also, the VFO knob seems to be small... Well, let's give it a chance and wait until somebody has tested it.

8. KC0KBC

KC0KBC Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw one in person this week. Overall my impression was indeed "cheap" and the VFO knob is the smallest I've seen on a base rig. I don't know that it's such a bad radio - the cosmetics just don't give you a high-end 1st impression. I'm a Yaesu fan, and they aren't in the habit of putting out junk, so we'll see...

9. G4MJA

G4MJA Ham Member QRZ Page

It does look cheap & what's with the mic socket? I don't see where this radio fits in Yaesu's current line up. I'll reserve judgement till I hear a few on air.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  10. WY7TED

WY7TED Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems a little high priced for not having a built in tuner.

11. K0EHT

K0EHT Ham Member QRZ Page

The Yaesu 450 is a hunk of junk, i looked at one and was curious about a couple of plugs on the back of the radio.. I asked the radio store if they had any plugs for the back of the radio, the answer was well we need some and let me call Yaesu... After a few minutes the candy store man came over and told me that Yaesu don't know where that he could get any of those plugs... Go figure..  I lifted the 450 and it felt like a feather plus the vfo know is so small. I might pay 300 bucks for it... Not worth the price they are asking..

K0EHT

12. W2RDT

W2RDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Better read the specs. I got mine This past Friday, the tuner is auto.
    russ==KC2RKO

13. W2RDT

W2RDT Ham Member QRZ Page

This sounds like sour grapes.
    If you havnt tried it dont knock it.
    The knob is not much smaller than the 857-897.
    I love my 450 as much as I love my 2 English
    Bull Dogs.
    russ==KC2RKO

14. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

2RKO ... not quite sour grapes ... a local friend got one ... studied it for a couple days to get the feel of it. Finally keyed it up ... ooops ... did not key. No key with the mic jack, key input or anything. Sent it back for a 746 Pro. When returned the store reported they could not key the radio either. Reported the receiver was ok, not exceptional. The tuner is either there or not. It does not come with one ... you want it ... order it.

Bill, W0LPQ/9

15. W9GB

W9GB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think that Elecraft's announcement of the upcoming K3 .... is placing significant pressure to product quality at a new price point for the Japanese Big 3.

New (final) K3 front panel
    http://www.n4lcd.com/k3/

w9gb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.