ad: portazero-1

New Yaesu FTdx101D HF Transceiver

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, May 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N8TCQ

N8TCQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The 5000 is down to around $3800. now, but that wouldn't mean much to the bean counters at Yaesu or Kenwood!

2. N8TCQ

N8TCQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The FTDX-5000 started out that high too, I can wait, my Mark 5 still runs great!

3. KN4RA

KN4RA Ham Member QRZ Page

OK on the keeper. The FTdx5000 is a beast and an excellent performer! :)

WB9AZA likes this.
  4. W4DXL

W4DXL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks expensive, that's for sure! Just count the knobs and buttons.

5. AG7JQ

AG7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I agree

6. AG7JQ

Apart if they offert 4K display capability on external screen like your new shiny TV Set... DVI is enough but if you want to use with your TV that's a bit of pain. They could even use a VGA either probably.
    Many moderns rigs having external screen input are not giving any advantage in resolution. They are simply making bigger the screen from the rig. So if we have older eyes it helps for sure but I don't need (yet) to see VFO frequency with 4 inches tall numbers.
    Rigs like flex particularly take benefit from additional resolution and if you want 6700 model with all 8 receivers and their waterfalls at the same time you will get them clearly on a big screen. Well if you need it absolutely...

We had a 3 main market players from Japan on analog market and few newcomers concentrating on SDR. There are still great analog or semi-analog semi-sdr rigs from others like Elecraft, but it looks like in digital era the move is towards SDR. Icom was the first to try with 7300 and that was a commercial success. So then they did 7610 for more demanding hams. I think Yeasu could not stay apart any longer.
    The "new" FT-818ND in meantime ?
    Flex understood that the older hams want the buttons and knobs so they did it. First with external console Maestro (at the price of a lower priced rigs...) then added it basically to the new range as M version so the rigs got taller to fit that console together. I have 6300 alone and I've ended to accept to use mouse and keyboard.
    Others are packing already computer and screen together with SDR itself. Anan not yet.
    As Icom, in the Big Three, is first so they are price setters and others are followers. To compete they have to find something Icom forgot to provide or be much better to ask much more $$. Icom is still selling IC-7851 and for sure not as many as IC-7300. Kenwood did not chose to make 890S fully SDR (analog receiver for hearing and SDR for waterfall) but they bet on downconversion for performance improvement.
    In Japan price tag has been set at 448.000 yens so around 4000$ by Kenwood. So I think FTDX-101D will be around as well.
    By paying twice more you don't hear twice more stations... What I can hear on Flex-6300 I can hear on KX2 or FT891 as well although not exactly the same in terms of confort and so on.
    I spoke to the stations having 7851 and 4-element Steppir high in the sky and it worked for me not having such gear.
    I am convinced now the antenna system is much more important that the TRX itself. If I don't hear DX station the neighbour hears it's because I have just a pretty low piece of wire and not a yagi on 100Ft tower.

It's a bit like a car industry and all marketing around (nice look and good specs). There will be always people wanting to spend much more for whatever reason they have (even gold plated knobs).
    To go from point A to point B you can use a Toyota, BMW, Ferrari - the top speed is not the same neither accelleration but will you drive on public road at 200 mph ? You can of course but maybe only once.

7. W6KKO

W6KKO Ham Member QRZ Page

8. PJ2SM

PJ2SM Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you advice me to buy the FTDX-5000MP? I have some doubts about buying the Icom 7610 the FTDX101D THE TS-890 OR THE FTDX-5000MP. GIVE ME SOME ADVICE.

9. PJ2SM

PJ2SM Ham Member QRZ Page

I need some advice, I have my doubts about buying the TS-890, IC-7610, FTDX-101D OR THE FTDX-5000MP

10. AG7JQ

I have the same question as you…

101D is now cheaper than 5000 although in 200W version is more expensive.
    They lowered 101D price quite quickly for a new radio but probably just to fight against 7610 (for me his direct competitor).
    Then it's unclear how to position it against 5000 (which is still in production) vs performance.
    Sherwood's test now put 101D as the best receiver ever tested… ELECRAFT K4 may and possibly will change it soon.
    But these are the labo figures not always we can hear in practice.

I believe they are all pretty in the same class - SDR is still quite new technology that the big 3 are finally embracing to stay in the market.
    5000 is appealing for people who will like lot of buttons and knobs and not too much of menus.
    Newest rigs more for those who will easily adapt to new way of operating or newer hams without long lasting habits.

Then depending for which use: contesting, dxing, daily nets, ragchewing, casual operating
    - some may be better than others even for ergonomics.

890 in not the same as others and only single receiver being the most expensive at the same time.
    More $$$ not always better…but Kenwood fans will say something else.

If you can, the best is to test them all... and to chose whatever you like the most.
    It's difficult to chose just based on specs and when you see reviews everyone is defending his own choice… until they change to something else.
    There is no many having actually all of them so they could give an independent opinion.

Ideal radio does not exists - otherwise it would be already in our shacks.