ad: Radclub22-1

New Yaesu FT5DR announced!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KK6USY, Aug 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KG8ZQ

KG8ZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

N1IPU, I'm participating in a worldwide net on my 2AT right now. It's over 25 years old and has survived countless drops, bouncing vehicles, hunting, fishing and offshore sailboat racing. It feels so good in the hand. I use it whenever I can find an open repeater that doesn't require access tones. Thumb wheel tuning rocks!
    Jerry, KG8ZQ 73

N1IPU likes this.
  2. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Real HTs... Moto.jpg ... ;)

K8XG, M0MNE, KD4MOJ and 3 others like this.
  3. K7LZR

K7LZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That 2AT is a great HT, even today if you outfit it with CTCSS. Tough as leather too :).

M1WML and N1IPU like this.
  4. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Motorola is like apple in so many ways. I just won't consider them as they have a license to steal. I went standard till those clowns bought them now I wont buy them either. I went Icom for marine and airband after that.

M1WML likes this.
  5. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

If I need a portable, I'll go with this:

[​IMG]

My family members have worked for them since the 1950's, I used their portables and mobiles for decades [they kept me alive more times than I care to count], and frankly - Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu, etc. still haven't made a better handheld radio. The current iteration, M-Solutions, is not a paragon of business ethics, but few American companies are such now.

M1WML likes this.
  6. N1IPU

Well I go with what works and try to stay away from unethical business. I can see if you feed at the trough ethics isn't a consideration though.

M1WML likes this.
  7. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dual receive gives no any advantage for SATs but crossband duplex. Due to tendency of modern expensive HTs to lack duplex I wouldn't expect the discontinued TH-D72 (the only SAT suitable HT nowadays) shall get a successor.

M1WML and VE3TSV like this.
  8. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

What type of computer are you authoring your thinly cloaked insinuations from? Apple? Lenovo? Dell? MS-Surface? Chromebook? They are all ethically challenged and by inference and use of your own logic, we may deduce the same of you. I doubt your choice of motor vehicles is ethical either.

Don't respond. I'll never see your ridiculous screed.

KQ1V and M1WML like this.
  9. UT7UX

I hate Icom especially since I bought ID-51. This pretty non-cheap piece of plastic wanted me to immediately buy new battery (kit battery lasts few hours on RX so useless) for $100 and desktop charger (kit charger requires eternity to charge so useless) for $50. Then it wanted me to buy simple two-pin headset adapter (damn piece of wire with connectors) for another $30 just to enable built-in VOX; Chinese HT with VOX costs 2/3 of Icom's simple cable. So approx $200 more than listed price just to use it. And after that I still cannot use in real world coz its speaker damn too quiet. So I'd say Icom=Apple.
    My previous Icom was IC-208H with no thermal grease on UHF module out of factory (burned after mew minutes on TX, sure). I have to note there was no warranty in my country so I had to repair it by my own. Thankfully I found used commercial mobile cheaper than new module itself so repaired mine and hurried up to get rid of it.

K8XG and M1WML like this.
  10. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I hear ya
    ScreenHunter 267.jpg

KG8ZQ and M1WML like this.
  11. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be happy when Yaesu gets over themselves and supports a digital mode other than their own.

M1WML and VE3TSV like this.
  12. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Roger on the 2AT.. I have my IC-u2AT purchased circa '87. Good stuff

M1WML likes this.
  13. N1IPU

Comp? Self built / Pi's and Latte panda. Prefer AMD when I can get it for processors. Mix of linux and windows because no real alternative. Vehicles Fords, Old Jeep. Boat, Wood, No plastic. Prefer Yanmar for engines. So yeah, try to stay ethical, especially never block anyone, well because its pretty unethical in it's own right. free speech thing, sticks and stones etc.

M1WML likes this.
  14. N1IPU

Mine kept going for a long while but receive is reduced. I would tackle putting in new caps at some point.

M1WML likes this.
  15. UT7UX

I don't believe this is possible after all that investments they've made into DR-1(X) and then DR-2X SystemFusion™ relays. Having saying investments I don't mean money but rather promotional efforts.

I wish someone to pick FreeDV or something similar open and to make it amateur DV standard de facto leaving all that proprietary systems in their own sandboxes.

AB0R, AD7SK and M1WML like this.