ad: portazero-1

new ....well sort of to contesting

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by WD5JTZ, Feb 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WD5JTZ

WD5JTZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

yes, I think the n3fjp is a last minute...if I cant get passed first page for my next qso party in Louisiana. I did use it after the fact from WFD, and kind of liked it after I understood the time stamp issue...and just putting 40 meter instead of 7.125. Thanks....and I do ft8 only to amuze myself from time to time. THAT WAS A BOOGER FOR WEEKS TO GET WORKING. 73

K8BZ likes this.
  2. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome back to the hobby and back to contesting. I don't have any any advice that hasn't already been given here regarding logging. I do agree with the others that N1MM is a great choice.ñ and I hope to work you in an upcoming contest.

3. WD5JTZ

Steve, if you have a minute....I want to get ready for the Louisiana QSO party coming up. Can you tell me in YOUR logger, if Louisiana is listed? On mine, its not...and that may tell me that I may have to update from somewhere?
    Mike

K8BZ likes this.
  4. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Mike.
    For the Michigan QSO Party I use N3FJP logging program. They have individual programs for each state QSO party. Find the list here:

https://www.n3fjp.com/stateqsoparty.html

I think if you buy one state QSO party registration key from N3FJP it works on all the state QSO party logs so you don't have to buy each state QSO party log. They are $8.99

N1MM can also be used for state QSO parties but I prefer N3FJP for QSO parties and Field Day, and N1MM for everything else.

Good luck and have fun.

5. WD5JTZ

Thanks Steve,
    After spending a couple days looking at N1MM, I think its more than I think I will ever use. If I am seeing it correctly, if I connect the computer to the radio...it would do all the calling on CW as well as Phone.
    And while I think I would have the option to do that or not with N1MM. …….I think it must be a super program for those people that do a lot of contesting and spend plenty of time on the computer and like that
    kind of stuff.........……...I think I may just go with the N3Fjp program... For me it is a fair price and I might even get the field day as well.

I appreciate your help. Hope to work you one day ...thanks again. mike

K8BZ likes this.
  6. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think you will be disappointed with N3FJP logs. I might also recommend the AClog for every day logging. It is reasonably priced and I import all of my contest logs into AClog. That way all of my contacts exist in a single log. It can also be set up to upload your logs to LoTW and Club Log; it can interface with your radio to automatically read your frequency and mode; you can save several rig interface settings if you have more than one radio you want to interface with; it can display DXspots in the lower part of the screen; can also interface with CW keying options like Winkeyer or a simple keyer interface. You may not use all of these features immediately but you may later on. I spent a year entering all of my old paper logs into AClog back to 1971, so now all my QSOs I have ever logged are in AClog. 89,677 total QSO's to date.

I mention all of this because I bought the entire suite of N3FJP logs many years ago and I have never had to purchase another log. Just download the log and enter the activation key. For logs that were created after purchasing the entire suite of logs, you can email N3FJP and he will send you the activation key for logs that were not available at the time of the original purchase. Such was the case for me for the Winter Field Day this past month.

If the contest bug really bites in time, then you can always transition over to N1MM+ which is highly sophisticated and might be overwhelming for a first digital contest log that would be more useful in international DX contests and digital contests and the like. And the experience gained from using N3FJP will be useful in the transition.

Good luck and 73.