ad: elecraft

*new* WaterProof Yaesu VX-170

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC9HJX, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Off the air, at the very least.

I wonder if this guy tested the air bags on his new car, just to see if the claims were true.

Oh, by the way, watch the language, OK?

Bill

2. K2FTC

K2FTC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

no idea why, but this cracked me up.

at least it was an aquarium and not the toilet of a nasty east village bar. after pounding back a whopping 3 club sodas, i dropped my ft60 and bright pink razr cell phone in the above mentioned pot. those things must be sort of water resistant as they still work, but i'm not too sure i want them too close to my face ever again.

ftc

3. KC9JIQ

KC9JIQ QRZ Member QRZ Page

That is cheating....

It's only waterproof if the mic is covered, if something is water proof, I should be able to use it underwater with nothing special modification (like moving a cover) being done to the radio and using it for it's intended purpose, underwater.

I don't see why they couldn't have designed a spring loaded door on the mic that way if you accidentally drop it in water, the door will automatically shut.

My Icom 2000h is waterproof, in a rubbermaid container, and floats too!

4. AB9LZ

AB9LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

While kayaking on Lake Michigan, I dropped mine (it was on) in about 6 feet of water, i.e. I couldn't quite touch the bottom while treading water, fortunately it landed on sand and was easy to see. That was about six month ago, It has worked perfectly ever since.

73 m.

5. AB9LZ

ser #51040975

6. AB9LZ

...and, no I didn't bother to try and use it while I was down there, figgered no one would understand me anyway.

7. KC9HJX

KC9HJX Guest

Thanks for the replies.

My S/N is...well, are either 6I1 or 6l1, it's eather a capital I (eye) in yaesu's font (which looks like this |) or its a lower-case L, I cant figure it out.

At any rate, it *looks* like 6l130445 [​IMG]

8. KA5PIU

KA5PIU Guest

Hello.

The talkies are waterproof to a degree with the cover in place or a mic screwed in place.
    As the cover is actually attached to the antenna base it is unlikely that it is going anywhere, so why would it not be in place?
    If the battery is not attached or the gasket is damaged the radio is not waterproof, is that cheating?
    And, teasing the others at the economic summit was kind of fun.
    So far, I have been thrown in the swimming pool at DefCon, no ill effects to the tech.
    Had talkies dunked in an aquarium, no ill effects.
    Have been in massive downpours, no bad so far.
    I have built a cheezy bluetooth adaptor for the Kenwood TH-F6A that is all but waterproof.
    This will allow the talkie and adaptor to be kept in a more waterproof carrying case.
    So, what is it with me and water?
    What can I say, I like to have fun.

9. KF7QQ

KF7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

you guys are out of your minds.

10. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

They don't anyway----

Tom K8ERV Montrose Colo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.