ad: UR5CDX-1

New vs Used ham gear - do you have a preference?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by AD7N, Nov 26, 2010.

?

New or Used ham gear- a preference?

1. everything must be new

12 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. will buy used only if mint or otherwise perfect

23 vote(s)
    18.3%
  3. buy a lot of new gear, but will often buy used

36 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. almost exclusively used for budget gear, but if I see a smokin' sale on new I'll take it.

46 vote(s)
    36.5%
  5. everything must be used

13 vote(s)
    10.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N5YPJ

N5YPJ QRZ Moderator QRZ Page

I started out buying at hamfests and from individuals then after moving to an area with less of both a dealer who sells checked used gear albeit a little more expensive it's made right if there is a problem. Last week I finally bought something used on Ebay. I buy new when I can and used when I can't, the few times I was burnt out weigh some of the nice items over the years.

2. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My first HF rig was given to me by the widow of a SK. I was lucky enough to meet her and was given an Icom 720A, with PS, desk mic, head phones and it was in very good condition.

I used that radio for quite a few years, from 1994 until 2005 when the finals went on it.

I then bought a new Icom 718, my first new HF radio. I had bought a new Kenwood TM-261A mobile years before.

I had owned other HF rigs during that time period but all were used. TS-520, FT-890, Halicrafters HT-44/SX-117 (wish I still had those)

Since the fall of 2009 I have bought a new Icom 7000, Yaesu FT-950 and Yaesu FT-8800R. I also bought a new switching PS, a new WM1 watt meter, new dual band vertical and a new LDG-AT-200PRO tuner. I bought the PS, watt meter and vertical new because I could not find good used ones around here.

I also bought a used AL-80A and LDG AT-1000 tuner. Price was right and again I knew the owners.

I am in the position now that I can afford a new rig. I like having a warranty and I love the fact that I know the rig has never been used. Buying that new equipment did not strain my household budget, or I would not have bought it.

I will also buy a good used rig, if the price is right and I know the seller. I recently bought a really nice TS-830S which came from an estate. I know the ham who was looking after the estate sale. I knew he had checked the rig out and that is was fine. So I did not mind buying that radio.

The problem I see with "Gently Used" radios is the price. Some feel they should get close to new prices when selling used gear. I figure if the warranty is off then the price should be adjusted accordingly.

It all comes down to what you can afford. This is a hobby, so why would you put yourself in debt for a radio? People with young families, car payments, mortgages etc really should not be going further in debt for a new radio. IMO.

Now golf clubs, that is a different matter for me :D I had 4 sets of irons in my golf bag this summer. One set was new, but I got those irons at a discounted price. The others were used but not abused! ;)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  3. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't usually take on repair projects other than my own, and I'm getting lazy about that, too. Simple repairs are nothing, as long as I can see what I'm working on.

But I will buy used gear, particularly from a dealer that I trust, like AES. I also buy from listings on QRZ and eham, too. I'm not a collector, and I don't give a dang if it's 'mint'. In fact, if your ad uses the word 'mint', I automatically assume that you're a piker and move on. If the rig has been used, I expect a little road rash. I've been known to buy from EBay, but I really prefer to avoid them - the rigs often end up over priced, and you have no idea what they've been through. But, sometimes, I am willing to gamble.

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

The last new all band HF radio, purchaced new, was my TS520, most of the stuff before or after has been used because new was just too expensive. The last HF all band rig I bought is a TS440s, paid the same $$$ for both new and used Kenwoods but the newer 440 has a lot more bells and whistles than the old workhorse 520.

5. AD4DQ

AD4DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

As in modern gear I will buy used but must be in very good condition. For the older rigs, boat anchors, I dont care what condition as long as it is 100% complete. Antennas I dont care. Small things like meters and tuners I buy new, used if I can find anything. I cant wait for the next hamfest in April.

6. WA5VQM

WA5VQM Guest

All my rigs are used. I use them all the time.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

At least they don't depreciate 30% by just driving them home, like cars do.

8. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member QRZ Page

I've rarely understood why people buy new cars.

The $10,000 - 15,000 saved buying used will get you a HELL of a lot of gasoline/diesel :eek:

9. AG6JU

AG6JU Ham Member QRZ Page

when I buy a radio, I look for maintainability . I have TEN TEC OMNI-V it is easy to maintain.

10. W8NF

W8NF Ham Member QRZ Page

The less I pay for gear, the more variety I can have in the shack. I have purchased exactly one brand-new HF rig, and it was the lowest-performance and least-reliable radio I've ever owned. Can't really think of a reason I'd want to repeat that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.