ad: chuckmartin

New video: ‘Introducing the IC-705 QRP SDR transceiver’

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jul 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WA4KFZ

WA4KFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Really like the similarity with the IC-7300 user interface.

“Evil thought of the day“ - make this a vehicle mounted QRP rig for HF digital and operate from inside the vehicle. Use a VHF/UHF amplifier For mobile FM and DSTAR operation. My imagination runs wild...

2. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

It shouldn't require a manufacturer specific app to do digital modes. There should be something like Fldigi to allow use of the USB port on these radios like any other audio interface. Or, failing that, use the speaker and mic jacks and an old school interface box.

Or the audio format wars?

AK5B and W9WQA like this.
  3. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So, I use RS-BA1 and an IC-7610 and it's virtual audio port with WSJT-X. It works flawlessly.

We will see this on the 705's USB port (hopefully wifi, too). It is already on my FT817, albeit with more cables and audio isolation.

And the video tape format wars... remember video tapes? ;)

WD4ELG likes this.
  4. W1WWA

W1WWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am sure you can do digital without a manufacturer specific app. Just like we can with many other radios. The APP may make things run smoother, use it if you want, or don't ... looking forward for the radio to be available.

AC0GT likes this.
  5. W6KKO

W6KKO Ham Member QRZ Page

Some Japanese vendors are selling the IC-705 for about $975+tax. One wonders what the cost will be in the U.S. and elsewhere.

Gigaparts posted various specs back in mid May.

There is an edited down video of a guy using a 705 and talking for two hours. He did leave the screen on though, so unsure of talk time using clip-on battery.

Section 17 of the manual specifically notes that an external tuner will be available soon.

RS-BA1 will control the radio via USB or WiFi (One at a time). See the 705 manual and the RS-BA1 manual. There is also the Android and iOS apps to control the radio.

User Manual: IC-705 | アイコム株式会社
    Instruction Manual: IC-705 | アイコム株式会社
    Supplement Manual CI-V stuff: IC-705 | アイコム株式会社

6. W6UXB

W6UXB Ham Member QRZ Page

I am so glad I decided not to buy one of these toys and got a real HF radio the RG ONE, I have a Handheld for the VHF/UHF stuff, RG ONE is amazing!

7. KK6ZHJ

KK6ZHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

8. K8HIT

K8HIT Ham Member QRZ Page

HRO called me yesterday and converted my reservation to an order. Tom said it should ship by the end of this month. I reserved in September 2019.

9. KK6ZHJ

KK6ZHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

HRO and Universal price it at $1,300. Glad it wasn't higher.

Universal has a bit of info on the future AH-705 tuner.

10. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

learned my lesson, impulse buyer/radio fix junkie, ill wait a year till firmware,prices settle down. i will buy one, love the icom" instrumentation" display...
    hint yaesu, WAKE UP...FIX THE 991A.

11. W7FY

W7FY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder if Elecraft would come up with a kx4 to compete with the IC-705.

12. WA3TVH

WA3TVH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like the 705 has a lot of nice features but I tend to agree with you on the power and tuner being missing. Personally I think you are paying a lot for what is a QRP radio, that being said I am sure it will find lots of hams interested in purchasing one.

13. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page