ad: elecraft

New video: ‘Introducing the IC-705 QRP SDR transceiver’

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jul 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KI4KGR

KI4KGR Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't wait for it's release.....

K8HIT likes this.
  2. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be awesome!

3. KF3EK

KF3EK Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KF3EK

KF3EK Ham Member QRZ Page

MSRP of FT-818 approx. $649 USD
    MSRP of IC-705 approx. $1,138 USD
    (but HRO lists the Yaesu at approx $570 USD)
    This cost to acquire factor tends to be a spec. that is of more interest to me; but that is Ham Radio - something for everyone!

5. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Xiegu G90 $450 (HRO). Cost to acquire is important to me, too.

6. K8HIT

K8HIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Band scope, color screen, touch screen , modern menu structure, wifi, USB, bluetooth, GPS, cw/ssb filter, band pass filters, are all missing from the FT-818. Pretty disappointing if you got home and unboxed the FT-818 expecting these features, it would be totally unsuitable.

W9WQA likes this.
  7. N0KEW

N0KEW BANNED QRZ Page

I bought a kx3 which was my first and will be my last Elecraft. I’d trade the kx3 for this rig in a second. So yeah. I want one. Icom has figured out how to make a menu system work and I appreciate that.

8. KD2TTM

KD2TTM Ham Member QRZ Page

I another one of those guys who put a deposit down on an IC-705 and bought a Xiegu G90 while waiting. The 705 is going to have to be really, really impressive to win me over now....

IK2UME and W9WQA like this.
  9. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Be cool if any radio could run Linux in the background so I don't have to lug around my Rpi when playing weak signal modes.

There's always something to complain about.

I'm not giving my FT817 up for Xeigu or any new radio at the moment, but this is the one I am watching for the reviews.

10. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What would be nice is a 20w non-Chinese rig with a bandscope, and tuner, from a big maker. At a $600 price point.

AK5B likes this.
  11. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Isn't there software for this that runs on an iPad, iPhone, Android device, or other small and light computing device that you'd likely carry with you anyway?

I suspect that a recent model iPhone or iPod can handle a number of digital modes if someone would take the time to write the software, assuming no one has already. A touch screen keyboard might not be the best but it would work. Getting a more usable keyboard or other input device can be rectified in a number of ways, including tapping out Morse code on the screen.

Having a Linux computer built in could be as much of a curse as a blessing. By being built in there is no leaving it behind. There's also no means to upgrade the Linux processor/memory/whatever without replacing the entire radio. Or, if it was upgradable then that adds volume and weight in making sockets and such for the parts as opposed to soldering them in. At some point then it's no better than just having a separate tablet computer attached by USB or WiFi.

12. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunately, its one of the big Japan radio companies. They have a habit of closed source firmware, weird USB cable connections (Yaesu), and competing digital modulation standards to name a few.

The homebrew folks are making real strides and then the Chinese pick up the manufacturing. This is giving some open source development, competition and low price points. Unfortunately the quality control is just not there yet, so it leaves many users frustrated.

Icom has three of four "apps" for Apple or Android that are related to the 705. One of them simply compresses images to be sent to DSTAR (no one with analog or C4FM can RX it) and another app that merely sends the image. Then there are separate apps for DSTAR Terminal mode and DSTAR interaction like maps and the like... how about just ONE app?

I looked at this and thought to myself "here we go again"... making it complicated out of the gate.

Of course RS-BA1 is not on your phone and there is no app replacement for it. So, rig control using your phones wifi is where? It was promised a year ago at Dayton by Icom. Of course these are troubled times, and the rig has been delayed as has some development. That is understood.

This is why I am excited, but cautious at the same time. There isn't even an English users manual online yet.

Another reason to keep going with my trusty 817, those radios weren't perfect either, but they proved to be real winners in the end. And I do wish Icom has a winner with this one.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    KK4CUL likes this.
  13. G0WXU

G0WXU Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob, very good intro video of the Icom IC- 705 but I spy a bit more interesting equipment in the background. (1). The Racal RA 17. (2). What apears to be a Mains powered 19 Set. Are the other Modified boxes ATU's or associated control boxes for the 19 set ?. More in my age group of radio equipment that I was brought up on. Esspecialy the Racal RA 17. I had to learne all about it so that I knew what I was doing to listen to our "Freinds" across the water, so to speak. That came in very handy when I sat the RAE in 1968. One of the question was to draw a set diagram of a superhet receiver and explain the workings of each part so I chose the RA 17 of cource and went into detail about the "Wadey loop" frequency stabilization. I think I got a pass on that. But I had not seen the then new "BR 68". So did not have clue. I had to guess my way on that. Fail !. When I did get the chance to see and read the BR68 I litteraly swalowed it hook line and sinker and got a Distinction and credits pass.

14. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

yeah, at three times the price !!
    but ill but a 705 in a year after first delivery, bugs and price.

KD2TTM likes this.
  15. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

remember video tape wars?9 different formats!!